RGS Royal Gorilla Auto--1st Grow!

Got my Grobo last week and immediately started my 1st grow with an RGS Royal Gorilla Auto. I’m hoping to get away for a bit in August (if the COVID gods will allow), so wanted a fast strain. Looking good so far I think. Started in paper towel, transferred as soon as shell cracked and I could see tap root and she sprouted on day 3. A little concerned about nighttime temps–I have a heater on termostat (growing in garage), but my nighttime temps still seem to have ranges from 11-14 C (52-57F), but we’re in a cold snap, so that might improve. Humidity is also very low (21-24%), but I just got a humidifier, so hopefully that will help. These pics are from today, Day 5.

Very happy for any advice, and very psyched to be getting started!

6 Likes

Is it just in the garage or in a tent in the garage. The later will have a serious impact on helping humidity and temp

5 Likes

Just in the garage. Not ideal, I know, but I don’t know that a tent is really an option right now. I have gotten the daytime temps pretty regular (and am a little confused why the nighttime aren’t regulating, as the heater is on a thermostat). I wouldn’t have thought low humidity would be an issue in my climate, but the heater is likely the reason for that.

2 Likes

Where in canada do you live?

2 Likes

Not Canada. A green island across the Atlantic.

5 Likes

I made an assumption its all good. Based on your low humidity id buy thr cheapest tent you can for the garage. Maybe a 2x2x4. Will make a world of difference

4 Likes

But the machine is taller than 4 feet, isn’t it?

1 Like

No. I dont think so. Maybe its 2x2x5
Could measure it or look at website

3 Likes

Great :+1:t2: option that strain right there is amazing :wink: in high an taste literally just finished that strain​:+1:t2::dash::seedling:

3 Likes

Managed to get the RH up to 45% last night using the humidifier for the first time, so I think that’s probably going to be OK (my wife thinks it’s possible that it just got more humid out, but I don’t think that accounts for the shoft from around 20% to 45). Still need to work on nighttime temps though. The light being off makes more of a difference than I would have guessed–at least 5 degrees celsius, minimum. I think I just need to play with the timer and thermostat to get it right.

3 Likes

I think I’ve got the temperature issue under control. RH will continue to be a problem–45% is the absolute highest I can get it, it seems.

Nevertheless, we’re making very slow but steady progress. First water change last night.

4 Likes

Day 12 update. All looking good. Slow and steady progress. Humidity improving but still on the low side (40% during day, 60 at night); temps under control. Water temp seems solid at 18-20 C, but should I add Hydroguard (Great White, actually) anyway when I do the water change on Friday?

2 Likes

Day 15, changed water yesterday, and nutes were added for first time. Looking good. I already know the answer to this (read enough of these), but I see one spot on a leaf (in pic)–should I figure this is a reaction to the first nutes?

2 Likes

You got it. Always nute burn on the 2nd set of leaves even on my new gg. Your right on the money. Good luck

2 Likes

Many thanks, @Todd.grobo! Trying to be rational, but definitely watching it like a hawk!

2 Likes

Leaves like that come and go during every grow. From day 1 to the end. Its all good. Just remove once its 50% wilted or more

3 Likes

Day 18, and it’s starting to really come on! Bit of curling on the first leaves. New growth seems solid. A little concerned about the purple stems and at the centre of the new growth, but all new growth has started that way and greened as it grew. Temperatures have been right on and humidity improved as well. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Day 22 and growth is really starting to kick in. First leaves appear to be wilting, and a few tiny spots on the next set, but the new growth seems good. I lifted the pod yesterday in an abundance of caution to ensure against dampening. She’s a bit droopy today, but growth seems to be strong overall.

2 Likes

Day 25. Slow and steady. Some spots on the 2nd set of leaves, but new growth looking good and healthy.

2 Likes

Day 31. Looking stronger by the day. Considering some LST, but wary of injuring her, and I know Autos generally want to be left alone. But there is growth underneath the canopy longing for some light!

2 Likes