Pump noise

My pump has just got Very Noisy

2 Likes

Me too! Well I say that but my unit only arrived the other day & I plugged it in on Friday. Its much louder than I thought it would be, louder than a fridge for example & I’m only germinating at the moment. Hope it does get any louder when the fans kick in etc.

2 Likes

Well I’ve had to unplug mine atm as the pump is Defining & I’m No Joking :rage:!
I’ve opened Tropical Fish in the past & yes a £5.00 Airport is Noisy but you can also buy Wisher Quiet ones too…Of cause more expensive :face_with_raised_eyebrow:!!
With this & my previous Rear Light Bleed things aint looking good for a keeper :exploding_head::rage:

1 Like

I FEEL SO LET DOWN :triumph::tired_face:

2k :face_with_raised_eyebrow:!!!..Not ATM :roll_eyes::exploding_head::triumph:

Just to bring all up to speed :wink:…

I’ve Googled a fix for this Noisy Air-Pump :wink:

It Still involves a Retro-Fit of a Silent Air-Pump Upgrade but Should sort the issue :thinking:??

& Still need my Callback though :face_with_raised_eyebrow:!!

I’m including pics of my Rear Light Bleed u mentioned previously & would greatly appreciate any response !

I await my 15:30 Callback :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:…

20201021_211010|375x500

2 Likes

Hey @Gmann & @DharmaDread , this issue is caused by the power wires that lead from the Grobo’s lower control board to the air pump touching the metal side walls. There are two methods to remedy this issue.

Keeping the Grobo air pump method:

1. Remove lower access door on rear of grobo.
  2. Identify air pump power wires (very small gauge, red and black in color).
  3. Push wires inward away from the wall.
  4. Adhere a barrier to the inner wall to stop the wires from touching the wall (double sided tape and felt work great for this).
  5. Do what you want with the rear door, it does not need to be reinstalled. (Note: if you do decide to reinstall it I would recommend also applying felt to the inside as it is likely to come in contact with the air pump wires.)

Not keeping the Grobo air pump:

(This is my preferred method)

1. Purchase a high quality air pump and airline materials. (See links below)

Hydrofarm Active Aqua Air Pump, 1 Outlet, 2W, 3.2 L/min

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JPDB5K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S2JLFb1Q52ZEP

Pawfly7-13 Feet Airline Tubing Standard Aquarium Air Pump Accessories with Air Stones, Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZY71K6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_t4JLFb5SYJ9NW

1. Pull air tube from Grobo air pump. You will see the tube when peering into the rear access port. Remove it by pulling to the right away from the air pump.
  2. Using wire cutters cut the wire leading to the grobo air pump and screw on a small electrical wire cap or wrap with electrical tape.
  3. Connect “anti-back-flow” valve to airline and attach (new) long air line to other side.
  4. Decide where to place your air pump and run new airline to it. Cut the airline to the appropriate length and plug it into your new pump. Be sure that the pump is not located in a warm/hot area as this will pump warm air directly into your reservoir.
  5. Turn on pump and turn it to maximum strength.
  6. Confirm that water inside reservoir is bubbling vigorously.
  7. Rest assured that you will never have to deal with a noisy air pump ever again.
3 Likes

Hi :wink:

Thanks for your heads up but I’m 99% sure its the Cheap Air-pump @ Fault & needs upgrading :roll_eyes:!

I know its not the end of the world to fix but my argument stands on the 2K Purchase Price & the Quality Standard of parts used

Then there’s my Rear Light Bleed issue :roll_eyes:!

Honestly though I could live with it @ a push :roll_eyes:! But I still say its excessive :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Unlike the Cheap Nematic Air-Pump fitted :face_with_raised_eyebrow:!!

& Hopefully the planted seed will be ok as its on day 5/10 & Not running & will take a few days to organise my replacement pump :thinking:???

1 Like

well said!

3 Likes

Agreed, I am sure that this (the air pump) is an issue that the Grobo team will be amending in the future. has your seedling emerged from the pod yet? I would bet that it will be ok until you receive your new pump so long as you keep the pod moist by adding small amounts of water from above when necessary.

The light leak from the top vent is quite intense also, I have put together a system that not only stops this issue but also pulls heat from the unit and masks the smell emitted from your plant once it begins flowering. Note: you can just set the carbon filter next to or on top of your Grobo to keep it compact if heat is not an issue in your space. See it here:

https://www.allgrowers.com/t/swsvics-heat-odor-reduction-system/5941?u=swsvic

3 Likes

Hi

Great reply thanks :blush:

I’m gonna hold off on anything like that atm & Hopefully have LITTLE smell issues…

Hears Hoping :roll_eyes:! Lol…

I promise you, the smell will not be “little” :joy:

2 Likes

Right :tired_face:!:roll_eyes:!..

I’ll bear you in mind m8 :wink:…

1 Like

Starting to feel like I’m walking into a expensive nightmare :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just ordered this :wink::…!

Screenshot_20201026-093213_Amazon Shopping|249x500

Good reviews &…

Said to be Very Quite :blush:…:musical_note:!:musical_note:!:musical_note:!:wink:!

3 Likes

Just be sure that it produces enough aeration, the 1W power rating could be a little on the weak side. Definitely want to get you dialed in, excited to see units are making it to Europe. :muscle::muscle:

1 Like

What’s nice about the external pump that @SWSVIC uses is you can manually adjust the amount of air being pumped into the reservoir, which can be helpful when you have a full grown set of roots.

3 Likes

My pump died early on in my 2nd grow also unfortunately and I got an external that adjusts. @VermontGrobo is it better to turn it down little when the roots are full grown?

1 Like

@Gmann I ordered this pad and cut it up so it fits inside the Grobo wall. Having a barrier between the wall and wires helps reduce the noise. Also, it’s a good idea to install a spare air pump in case the Grobo air pump malfunctions.

3 Likes

Hey all I contacted Grobo support about my noisy pump and they are sending me out a replacement. Customer service has been great so I would recommend you reach out to them if needed -won’t hurt

3 Likes

Hi

I’ve just got the same result :wink: Cant praise there after sales high enough :wink:

2 Likes

Best customer service ever!!! Seriously though, I thought the air pump was supposed to be loud so that you’d know if it stopped working… it is a little annoying, it’s like having the dishwasher going in the background all the time or something, lol. But it’s cut out and kicked back on a couple of times and I’ve heard it immediately.

1 Like

@Chad_Johnson when it comes to deep water hydro I am a believer that there can never be too much. I may be wrong but I believe @chris_barfield, @Bplatinum9 and/or @Todd.grobo posted something about this a couple months ago.

2 Likes