Pruning and topping your plant to increase yield

Just pruned ours the other day! Looks like we’re going to get a good yeild :grin:

Sorry, new to the boards, but I do have a q so I’m laying it down here: a few of the lower fan leaves have been yellowing over the past few days – since the last water change. We also just replaced the pH sensor. Thoughts?

12 Likes

@Gooberjess3

Awesome update and glad to see you on the forum! I recently just started my grow last Saturday, I’ve made a small adjustment to my coco pod depth.

I’m sure someone will have some input to help to with your question! I’m still a noob myself in the growing aspect so I’ve only read articles as to what possibly could be taking place, but will let the Grobo team take this one!

3 Likes

Hi Jess,

Great to see you here, thanks for sharing!

Yellowing leaves can be natural, but there are several conditions that don’t help. Check out this article for more info on possible causes for yellowing. http://www.growweedeasy.com/why-cannabis-leaves-yellow#normal-yellow-leaves

I’d rule out pH going forward, as our new solution is rock solid.

Best,
Stephen

2 Likes

Thanks, Stephen! Keeping an eye on the plant over the past few days, a few of the lower fan leaves are definitely yellowed and I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop, but I think you’re right – all looks normal to me, and other leaves are a healthy green :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Jess,

Any chance you can provide us with an update of how your grow experience is coming along since we last heard from you?

Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Community Grow Photos

Looking good! If you don’t mind me asking, what strain did you settle on?

Thanks.

Seahawk

Purple Kush Feminized
Question: If all is well and all is green and growing is there a reason to take off the lower leaves?
I plan on topping it soon but need a little more growth.

I have some Purple Kush fem seeds from Canuk that I haven’t found a recipe for yet. What recipe are you using for your Purple Kush? How long until harvest? Thanks in advance.

Hi Trip23,

I’m only aware of the Auto Purple Kush Fem from Canuk, is that what you are referring to? Quite different than a photoperiod dependent feminized recipe. I’d use the Cannabis -Auto-Generic recipe, 71 days.

Stephen

Yes, that’s the one! Also, I have from Canuk some Citrus Skunk Fem seeds. Do you have a recipe in mind for that strain? Thanks again!

Hey Trip23,

Make sure you use an auto recipe for your auto seeds! For the Citrus Skunk I’d run the Cannabis-Hybrid-Generic 101 day schedule.

Stephen

1 Like

Hey Stephen,

I only have the Purple Kush seeds that are auto and I’m on my first grow (WW fem from Canuk - day 12), which brings me to my next question…how do you know if it’s Indica or Sativa because I can’t tell by the description? Does it make a difference if you have one and you’re using the recipe for the other? Thanks again.

Hey Seahawkpi,

I see I missed responding to your pruning question. “If all is green and growing is there a reason to take off the lower leaves?”

It is really up to you as a grower, but I like to remove the lower growth to allow the plant to focus on the top bud nodes, not the small ‘popcorn’ buds that occur in the undergrowth. This also has the effect of reducing bud infections by removing the oldest leaves and increasing the air flow under the canopy.

Stephen

Hey Trip23,

Usually the breeder will indicate if it’s Indica, Sativa or Hybrid strain. Most strains these days lean more to the hybrid side. If you make a mistake and select an incorrect recipe, it’s not the end of the world. As you approach the end of the grow, your notifications will prompt and educate you on what to look for in making a harvest decision. If you have a long flower Sativa strain but selected a short Indica strain recipe, you will quickly see that your plant isn’t matching up with the notifications. The recipes are designed to allow you to extend them or cut them short. The Grobo is an automated system, but you are ultimately in control. :robot:

Stephen

Hey Stephen,
On my first grow, currently day 15 for a White Widow strain from Canuk and my plant hasn’t done much in the last week or so. Leaves are starting to wilt a bit and I’m starting to get a bit concerned. Took this pic a few minutes ago. Any ideas??

1 Like

Hi Trip23,

Please contact support@grobo.io and they (we) will be able to assist you. This will raise a support ticket, enabling me a peek at your data. Combining that with the picture you provided will ensure we get a good picture of your progress.

Thanks,
Stephen

@Trip23 I grew a white widow by canucks seeds in soil. It was a free seed when i bought from truenorthseeds. it grew extremely slow and compared to a blue dream i was growing at the same time it did not live up to expectations. i had to chuck it

1 Like

Hey Stephen,
On day 35 and she’s looking healthy but I have a question about topping. I’m not sure I topped at the right time. I read that it should be done bw 4th and 5th nodes. I’m thinking that I topped after 5th node appeared. Please see pics for reference. Assuming that I was late topping, what effect will it have on my plant?

8 Likes