Not Sure What to Believe (Temperature Readings)

So here are my Govee, Thermapro, and generic water thermometer readings … how do I know which reading is accurate? I considered buying an analog thermometer, but they don’t seem any better.

Note: Govee unit can be calibrated, Thermapro unit cannot.

3 Likes

You can try placing them outside your grobo for a couple hours to see which one of them gets the closest to your house thermostat.
My house thermostat is set at 68 when I place my hygrometer outside the grobo its at 70 so about three degrees diff.

4 Likes

I live in a prewar apartment building so we don’t have thermostats :weary:

1 Like

@Hellyesshedid

Do you notice any issues growing on the higher end of the “comfort zone” temp wise? My Grobo’s room stays at 79 with the unit and the water chiller running. I have multiple fans running to circulate air but they can only do so much. Wondering if you’ve experienced any negative issues or complications growing at these temps. Thanks!

1 Like

Room temps play a huge part in the overall box temps.
If your already using a water chiller and fans there won’t be much else you can do except move the unit to a cooler location like a basement or garage, add a air conditioner, dehumidifier also helps.
Hydrogaurd will keep it from root rot though under high temps.
I use hydroguard without a chiller just two small fans inside and house temps no higher than 68 and my box still reaches 78 sometimes.
With hydroguard I don’t worry about it!

3 Likes

Good to know, I am also using Hydroguard as well as recharge, and yes the water chiller keeps my water at a crisp 68 degrees. My concern is that its 79 degrees inside the box, will that be an issue? If so, what do I need to look out for? Furthermore, I cannot move my unit, nor do I want to add a portable air conditioner. I am looking into evaporative air coolers, are they worth a damn? Anyone have any experience with them?

Not portable air conditioning but air conditioning for the room its in, you see because the box will always be a couple degrees higher than the actual temp inside the room its in.
If your water is staying chilled properly all you will need to do is set a small dehumidifier at the back or side of the unit to make sure the plants don’t sweat too much.
I use eva-dry at the side of my grobo.
Most evaporative air coolers have condensation which won’t be good for your unit.

1 Like

Very true, and I had figured as much on the additional humidity being a negative factor. The RH in my unit is constant at 45%, I do have a dehumidifier in the “grow closet” and will begin to utilize it once passed germination period.

1 Like

I make sure to open my grobo everyday to let out condensation/humidity only a few minutes a day can help a lot.

2 Likes

Good advice, going to develop some sort of contraption to at least exhaust the hot air that is emitted from the top fan of the grobo out of the closet. After feeling how warm that air is coming out of that vent I’m sure I could get the entire room down a few degrees by directing it into a larger more open area.

4 Likes

I just read about someo fine on allgrowers.doing that very thing.
Let me know how it goes!

2 Likes

Where is your chiller located? It’s going to reject some heat too. (Inside vs outside the closet)
Dehumidifier will also add heat to your closet.
Fans to move air can really help, especially if you exhaust it out of the closet. I have a bit of an obsession with heat transfer being a refrigeration mechanic :joy:
I don’t have any experience with swamp coolers but from what I remember they don’t work very well. Warmer temps are on the way though (depending where you live) so you could see higher numbers in your box soon.

1 Like

Check out what @KeefGreenLeef did for smell. Not sure how to direct you to the page. You could inline fan off that box he put on directly out of your closet.

1 Like

@Flyers28

Awesome intel! Yes the chiller is right next to the Grobo but unfortunately that is where it must stay. I have installed a Dyson tower fan that is directing air out of the closet which reduces the temperature by 1 to 2 degrees. In addition to that I have just ordered some items to create and exhaust system w/ carbon filtration that I will be connecting to the top rear vent of the Grobo (where all the heat from the unit seems to be emanating) to direct the hot air out of the closet and into a bigger room. The system will be “collapsible” so to speak, so should we have visitors I will easily be able to move the entire exhaust rig into and out of the closet. Would really like to keep the average temperature in the 74-75 degree range, so far the Dyson has brought the average temp to 77 and I’m hoping that with the addition of my exhaust system I will be at my target temp. Furthermore I also ordered a wireless sensor for our downstairs A/C thermostat that will also be living in the closet, the Wifi A/C system will take the closet’s temperature into account and cool down the downstairs area accordingly. I’m on day 2 of Germination haha, absolutely loving my overkill setup! Crazy fun!

3 Likes

Precisey, I found some great products for a very clean looking and functional hot air venting system. Once I receive the items I will post a step by step guide.

1 Like

Not a problem. Sounds like you got I figured out! You’re right crazy fun! Excited to see your setup, keep us posted. :beers:

I’m sending a setup to @tightt in couple days. Send me a message and I’ll give you some details. Thanks @Flyers28

2 Likes

I did have issues with high temps because I didn’t have my chiller when starting my grow, but the effect was compounded by a few other issues early on - all resulting in a severely dwarfed plant. I think 79° is fine if your water is chilled.

1 Like