New to all of this (on the fence on the grobo)

Hi everyone! I am from Ohio and new to growing. I really like the idea of a grobo since I have zero experience with growing. I have been reading through some posts and see folks adding fans, mylar and other stuff to their grow boxes (frozen water bottles). I am concerned that investing in the grobo (2,600$ worth of stuff) and I will need additional unknown items adding to the expense. I see folks that have issues with their grows and have to start over. I am worried I will be investing a ton of money…and will still need to go see “my dude” as it may or may not produce…talk me off a ledge here…

Thanks a bunch!

4 Likes

There are a few YouTube videos you can watch which might help you decide. I have enjoyed the product and yes it’s not perfect but it’s easy to use and I’m confident that I will get larger yields over time. As for the “extras” it’s best to wait for your second grow or just add them over time. I think the dual USB fans are necessary. Order some extra coco pods too. The Grobo isn’t as stealthy as you might think however so keep in mind where you intend to place it. There are smells, noises and light leakage. This is the only product that fit my specific application since I don’t have room for a tent and don’t want to spend a lot of time figuring out the process. The technical support is very good,
Good luck with your decision!

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice. So much information feel like I am super excited one minute then totally asking myself WTF are you thinking. :grinning: I’ll keep researching. Be well!!!

2 Likes

I have been a email subscriber to grobo since I saw them on kick starter a few years back, in Virginia you are able to grow up to 4 plants legally now, so I bit the bullet and ordered the solid unit, It has been superb so far the only issue I have had is the drain hose has a small tear in it from shipping, but with the wonderful customer support from grobo I emailed them about it and they are sending me a new hose free of charge. I am 3 weeks in on my first grow and my plant is thriving, mentioned above there is light leakage and noise from the air pump and fan(s), I can not comment on smell as of yet. If I were you I would get one it is super easy to keep maintained, I would make sure you have readily available access to distilled or reverse osmosis water at your local grocery store because she will need a lot during your grow(s). And like the guy above said you can add your accessories at your own pace, a fan a temp and humidity gauge and water thermometer is really all you need, other little tools of the trade can come down the line when you are ready, its all a learning process/hobby just remember that.

4 Likes

It is a hobby. You will have issues and maybe nothing to show for it. The industry is set up for us to buy buy buy. Hoping we get the best. Grobo is no different. Nice automation but it come with problems. They control the automation and leave you guessing…

You have to be very careful with these plants no matter who you use. They die easily in the early stages. It takes time to learn how to do this. It is not bowling where you just throw a ball down a lane. This has numerous data points to consider and adjust to make the plant happy :blush:.

If I had a space indoors for tents, I could do the same thing for half the $$$ and I would have total control of my grow. I feel that At anytime Grobo can kill your plant. They control the feeding and will not let us know what it is. It is a secret we hope works. Makes me check twice as much as I should because I do not know what they are doing behind the scences.

Lastly, it is a good machine. It helps with automation. Water changes are easier. They look discreet. They are costly. Unless you are going to grow 5 or 6 plants at a time, it will not be cost affective. The quality is where you should get your $ worth.

Growing your own the right way is always better, cleaner, and satisfying. Grobo is ok. I have 3 boxes. I can’t do the tents or outside… so I am stuck. Good Luck.

5 Likes

I’m a first timer and I agree with everyone. I already new what yields to expect from research. Which is fine for this small space. Like most will say. I’m looking forward to excellent quality and all my trichomes being intact. :rofl: like anything else there’s things to be done during your grow. You will find that information here at AG. So far what ever issues I’ve had were easily solved with everyone’s help here. I still visit my dispensary.
I’ve followed the set up of grobo to the tee. Space, airflow, dry pod, my avg temp is 77 and water 72. I’m very happy with my grobo. Hope this helps. :+1::sunglasses:

7 Likes

- - - [2021-09.30]:

@newbiebuds,

{:wink:}:

• (I_ :eye: Have Been Here For A Few Moons_ :first_quarter_moon: , And Not Going [AnyWhere] Soon, To My Knowledge): (We Have Had Issues From Day One, Only Because I Thought The Light_ :bulb: In Front Of The Unit Was Good On Green_ :green_heart:): (Explains A Lot): {No_Brain..~~ :laughing:}:

(GrowJournals): (ClickHere):

--

• (You Can Only See :eye::eye: These If They Are Made Public):

ShareYourGrow..1~~ {#Public}:

• (I_ :eye: Say_ :speaking_head: The Unit_ :groboone: Is Well_ :white_check_mark: Worth_ :moneybag: It): {:green_thumb:}:

• (Yes It Is Very Expensive For Us [Non-Rich-Folks]): (The Nutrients Isn’t Cheap Either): (Just Hoping One Day Things Will Come Easier On The Pocket_ :purse:):

• (Keeping The Grow Environment Within Growing Range Is Key To Healthy Growing):

• (Keep Both_ :two: Sensors Cleaned_ :bathtub: , -And- Have Them Calibrated Every Few Months):

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. :+1:t2:Great information :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I never really wanted to even do this, just a friend wanted it and we went 50/50 to keep costs down. Then he bailed as he didn’t know it would take 4-5 months to have anything usable with curing and everything. So here I am not wanting to do anything, but I am doing about the minimum compared to many. :grinning:

Only my thoughts, but unless you really need “small and inconspicuous” for less than half you can get a complete grow tent kit with everything and be able to grow more plants and larger. Then just get a a ph test kit and add the nutrients yourself.

4 Likes

I’m a first time grower and had the same concerns you did. Spending over 2,000 for the grobo premium, buying co2 canisters, extra nutrients, accessories, extra fans, and yes even freezing bags of water and putting them in the tank to cool it down a few degrees. I thought WTH am i doing? Honestly its the experience and whole process thats enjoyable for me. I was about to return the unit at first because two seeds failed on me about 3 weeks into the very first grow. So i reached out to support and figured thrid times a charm. The support and knowledge you get from them is tremendously helpful. I actually follow up once a wee with them and they advise me what the best options are goimg forward. You wont get service like that anywhere else, plus everyone here on the forum is super helpful. Looking back being on the same ledge you were on, i can honestly say I’m glad i decided to stick it out. Right now im almost through my first grow at day 17 in flower and she’s looking anazing. I think after a couple grows in the grobo i will start growing in a 4 x 4 tent and keep the grobo as a cloning station. Keeping the plant in veg and just taking clones and adding them to my grow tent. The one main concern i had was root rot, but with Hydroguard and the new water chiller they have you should be straight.

6 Likes

really great advice everyone…I truly appreciate you taking the time to weigh in on it. I think I am going to go with a 4x2x60 gorilla tent with a hydro set up. My space can handle it…I will have to do something about the smell but there are options. Be well everyone!

4 Likes

Nice. If Grobo was a little cheaper, it would be great. If I decide to expand, I can’t do $2000 a pop, when for $1000 you can do 4x more with a little work.

5 Likes

Welcome. I am about 2 weeks away from harvesting my first grow so certainly still a beginner…which is why the grobo is perfect for me. Teaches you a lot and forces you to learn and be observant. Like others said, the dual fans and hygrometers are a necessity. This community right here can/will help you out along the way. I had no f’n clue what I was doing. I just like and wanted great weed. Haha

I live in Chicago and did not think out the logistics. It was an impulse buy. My main hurdle was/is temperature and humidity!!! I ended up buying an A/C unit and dehumidifier for that room. Without them, the grows would not be possible. Make sure you can sustain 68-78 temp and 30-60% humidity depending on what stage in the grow you are. I didn’t make the investment to end up failing. If I can get 10oz over the next 3 years = $$$$$

3 Likes

Sometime just let it go longer until it is bulging out, let it go. :grinning: Also dont worry about 90% of things you hear.

1 Like

Thank you. Definitely going to let her go for a bit to try and get the larger buds to grow. Have a lot of excess growth underneath and on the sides but I waited too long. Live and learn. If it tastes as good as it smells and looks…I will be ecstatic! Been thinking about my 2nd grow for weeks. Haha

4 Likes