New Grow New Thread

Thank you it was just a few bag seeds I had I’m trying to get my actual order wont be in for a few more weeks I was just excited to finally use my grobo I have a few trying to get with papertowl method just in case but there not looking promising either

1 Like

Sorry Will, maybe try to soak in a cup of RO/distilled water overnight and hope you see a speck of white on the seed! You will eventually find what works best for you! I wish you all the luck!

2 Likes

Hi James, little crisis I think…as I was watering my plants this morning I noticed that there was some powdery mold on the side of 2 of the four canvas pots and one actually had some mold on top of the soil. Nothing was on the plants and in fact they look quite healthy. Any suggestions?

Soil is dry every time I water 3xs per week which includes day of feed. I water/water/water with nutes…it’s the canvas pots! Sucks the water right up

How do I get rid of the mold

Can you post some pics? It may not be bad mold, but if you think it’s really “bad mold/mildew” that’s typically found in areas with poor air circulation or overly wet areas. Easiest fix is an oscillating fan, but I suspect that’s not the case.

If it looks like this (side of a fabric pot)

it’s salt and calcium buildup - nothing to be concerned about. This will happen with using feed/nutrients. Will also work itself out with a flush, but probably not needed unless you see your plants leafs are spotting/curling/browning.

1 Like

Yeah I will post pics. I do have 2 fans in there plus the in- line fan. It’s set on low maybe I should put it in medium? I take each plant out of the tent to water so I don’t splash around and leave water… I’m more concerned about the mold on the soil, but I did water over it this morning so it might not be there when I try to take a pic. I will try anyway give me a few…again thanks James

No problem, best to post pics so we (myself any anyone else whom has an opinion) to better assess the situation. Mold and fungus can grow on the top of soil, but without seeing pics I would assume it’s mycelium

Mycelium is the vegetative part of a fungus or fungus-like bacterial colony, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae. The mass of hyphae is sometimes called shiro, especially within the fairy ring fungi. Fungal colonies composed of mycelium are found in and on soil and many other substrates.”

More
“ The Benefits Of Mycelium For Plant Life

There are three types of mycelium:

• Saprophytic, a scavenger of sorts that feeds off dead organic matter.
  • Parasitic, which absorbs nutrients from a live host.
  • Mycorrhizae, which feeds off live plants, in a mutually beneficial relationship.

Mycorrhizae is the mycelium most gardeners will want to focus on cultivating in their soil and is really good for cannabis.”

This mold on your soil is called “Santa’s Beard”… it is a beneficial mycho fungi that forms a symbiotic relationship with the cells in the root zone called the rhyzosphere. The fungi processes the organic amendments in the soil into available nutrients and the plant uptakes as necessary. Most times it only appears after topdressing with an organic amendment.

DO NOT KILL this fungi (for now). It’s likely beneficial to your plant!

I’ll check back later for pics, but I wouldn’t panic about this. My “guess” based off the description provided is it’s a beneficial.

Along with the pics, it would be ideal to know what nutrients you’ve been using, any amendments In the soil, have you been adding anything extra recently e.g. aerated tea ect, what soil you’re using ect

1 Like

Here we go with the pics James sorry for delay. The mold on the outside of the canvas bags seemed to have disappeared since I watered them this morning. The bags are dry and no sign of mold on this plant I pulled out on the outside. However as you can see, there is mold in the soil… so? I posted the othe plants as well. This particular plant is a month and two days old. It’s an auto and I’m not sure if it’s my hybrid or my indica yet? The other plants are autos and were planted mid October.

2 Likes

James I’ve been using these nutes posted below. I think it’s time to switch from Multi Zen to Bud-XL for the 3 bigger plants… what do you think?

Forgot the pics

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Hey Grower!

Can you post some pics? It may not be bad mold, but if you think it’s really “bad mold” that’s typically found in areas with poor air circulation or overly wet areas.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

The Grobo Team
grobo.io | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Have you been doing anything different the past week such as spiking nutes (adding more than suggested it bumping up the does)? The mold on the outside of the pots is not a concern. In most cases it’s the calcium/salt build up stains. The soil “fuzzies” look to be “Santa’s beard”. I’m not concerned about that but To me, this plant doesn’t look happy

The bottom leafs appear to be curling, but that just may be the view of the pic. The leafs appear to be droopy which can happen after a heavy watering. Right, wrong or indifferent, If you think there is a problem a flush with pH’d 6.2-6.5 water should clear that right up. Make sure if you do you get 25% run off and test that run off for ppm and ph. I am not concerned about the white fibers on the soil. I don’t know anything about the nutes you’re using.

When in doubt, flush, dial back the nutes. When I use nutes I typically start at half the recommended does and start slowly moving up watching the plant for potential issues over the week.

Take a look at this

And this

1 Like

Yeah I flushed it this morning with 6.0 ph water. Actually it’s kinda making a comeback. I thought I killed it a couple weeks ago. I over water and fed it at the beginning and it sort of got Hiroshima on me… I have also been experimenting on lollipopping with it!!! Thought it was dead!!! There was nothing only one bud site and now there are five…

1 Like

Well that explains the bottom section that looked troubled.

Should I keep hacking away or let it heal

That’s entirely up to you. Those bottom leaves may never “heal”. If it were my plant I’d say fk it, strip the unhealthy growth and push on knowing I had a few more cooking that we’re doing well, but here comes the disclaimer, You “probably” shouldn’t be training an auto. Most folks tend to agree that autos should not be trained or topped much ect as they have a predetermined lifecycle and won’t have the time to heal properly. The yield tends to suffer and the plant never reaches full potential yada yada

If This is an auto as mentioned and since it doesn’t have much time to recover from a lot of stress especially since you’re already flowering I would leave it to do it’s thing. You’re probably best served leaving it alone either way as if there is something really wrong you tend to see the affects in the Leaves first. I would recommend monitoring the run off for ppm and ph and adjusting feed accordingly based on those results. Once those leaves brown/crispy and the life’s been used up by the plant then yank them.

Your runoff/ppm can tell you a lot about what’s going on in the medium. I tend to take weekly readings in veg and flower. One a week in veg and twice a week in flower. Imo you did the right thing here which was flush it with ole natural water ph’d. This typically fixes any nutrient build ups you may have in your soil. The stains on the side are simply nutrient strains and they’ll come and go as you water or feed (more severe in low air flow environments). Not sure what your watering schedule is like, but my flowering plants in 5lb fabric pots require watering every 2-3 days. Some folks prefer the old school knuckle test rather than a set schedule. To do so, stick your finger into the soil, if its dry on the tip to the first knuckle it needs water. You could also opt to lift the bag and if it’s light it needs watering.

You have roughly the same size tent I’m using for flower. It’s too small for 4 plants in flower. I use the space the 4th plant would be for an oscillating fan and a small dehumidifier (flower) or humidifier (veg). The air flow or lack of at the bottom very well could be what’s causing your fuzzies. Might be helpful to get a full shot of your tent when you get a minute. Also happy that you got these plants through their rough spot :muscle: , stuck it out and will have a harvest, well done.

1 Like

Here is a pic of my tent James. Organic soil is the only one with the fuzzy. That’s interesting.

2 Likes

The organic soil has all types of beneficials. “Could be” something wrong in that soil. It’s pretty clear the plant is troubled when comparing it to the others, but that could be Genetics.

Are all four of those plants in different ages/weeks into flower?
All four the same strains/breeder?
What strains?
Just the one pole fan?
What’s your humidity at?

Lots of questions

Yeah that one is a month old. The other three were mid October

To answer your original question, the fuzzies are probably nothing to get concerned about yet. They’re likely a beneficial side-effect from your organic soil. Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse you should take action. Imo it’s likely the result of poor air circulation or aforementioned soil.

I’m curious as to what your game plan is for when you go to harvest the 3? The 1 started a month ago won’t be ready?