My 2nd Grow....this time an Auto

All depends on if you don’t really see bubbles. But this is your second grow I don’t know if that’s totally necessary for you. I just did that to mine but I’m on my 4th

1 Like

All cleaned out. I let it soak a little longer than 30 minutes. Not on purpose. A fly got in the house and lost track of time trying to kill it…lol. :joy: Maybe 50 minutes. I also drained and filled with water twice. Added Hydroguard to water. I didn’t do the hydrogen peroxide mix on the roots. I think I caught it time.

1 Like

Just a heads up just in case it happens to you - when I soaked my roots they turned nice and white within minutes. I checked 2 or 3 days later and the brown returned despite adding hydroguard and water temps being around 70. It’s possible I didn’t sanitize the reservoir well enough - hopefully you’ll have better luck!

1 Like

Hope so…Will update in a few days

2 Likes

Would be interested to know your findings. I’m currently running 6mL Hydoguard and 2.5 mL Recharge added to 3 gallons of RO water at every drain/fill. It seems to hike up the pH a bit (near 9.0), Grobo fixes it rather quickly however, today after 3 hours my pH was down to 6.1. Will check earlier next time, would like to see how quickly the machine makes the adjustment.

1 Like

It probably happens within an hour or two. The machine checks and regulates pH every hour I believe

1 Like

Good to know, is that amount of time acceptable for the roots to be sitting in high pH water? Should I be using pH down to lower it prior to filling?

1 Like

Grobo wouldn’t suggest it, but I do. I once forgot to pH the water beforehand when topping the reservoir and my unit never adjusted the pH which resulted in nutrient lockout, causing brown spots on my leaves. I don’t think my Grobo is adjusting the pH outside of complete drain & fill cycles.

3 Likes

I’ve honestly never pH’d my water before hand. I mean as soon as the fill cycle is complete it’s dosing the bottles accordingly withing 3-5 mins. So I’m sure it’s being brought down. Maybe not all at once but I’m not :100: @Stephen or @Chris would be able to tell you more in depth than myself :+1:

2 Likes

Yikes :grimacing:

Going to check pH in 10 minute intervals next drain/fill. Hoping it’s adjusted within 30 minutes. If not I’ll handle it manually from there on out.

1 Like

You really don’t need to do that imo. Your just spending money on Grobo 1-2 and then buying more up and down, unless you’re just using the Grobo ones, but why add the extra step? I would just let your unit do it’s thing first being your initial grow, it’s what it’s designed to do lol. Yes some have had issues but the positives grossly outweighs the negatives.

2 Likes

Good advice. I don’t mind being a little more involved however, I’m an extrovert trapped inside social distancing :joy:.

1 Like

Haha yeah I totally get that :sweat_smile:

Yeah, mine pH’s during drain & fills just not with top ups.

*Also: I found that I use a lot less pH liquid by dosing manually. It’s strange but both my Up & Down were being used when I was allowing the Grobo to do its thing.

1 Like

I got you, that makes a lot more sense. pH w/ top ups :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Yeah both my up and down get used as well. But my down more cause my water is really high at 8.5 lol. But it’ll fluctuates I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Are you running tap, RO, distilled? Any added supplements?

RO. It’s hooked up in my basement and ran through up in my sink in the kitchen. I’m just adding hydroguard is all. But we should make a new topic or something we just hijacked this thread…lol

2 Likes

:grimacing: you right

1 Like