My 2nd Grow....this time an Auto

How can I fix it? I have some Hydroguard

1 Like

Itā€™s a reset button on the back of the thermostat. Should I hit it?

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s a good start. I know @vegetato is good on getting the roots sterile with hydrogen peroxide. Iā€™m pretty sure he soaked his roots in some diluted in water. But youā€™ll need to drain your res and give it a good clean out too to kill the bacteria thatā€™s in there. When you refill and add your girl back add the hydroguard as a preventative. I donā€™t think itā€™s used to fix the problem.

Canā€™t hurt but if you said you dropped it in water it might be toast. I donā€™t have a thermometer in mine but mine is around 68-72 (I have a temp gun)

1 Like

O.okā€¦I will check it out.

1 Like

You said clean out. What do you mean? Clean it like you are getting ready for next grow? Or like drain it and wipe it down?

1 Like

No like youā€™re starting a fresh one, sterilize it otherwise the bacteria can just come back

What about the probes? Already did a calibration before grow. Should I do again? If they are fine and donā€™t need a another calibration, should I place them in a cup of water while I clean the tank out?

2 Likes

Yeah you said theyā€™re okay so that should be fine. Once you have it all said and done I would still put in a ticket and just have them make sure everything is all good numbers wise on their end

1 Like

But yeah for your next grow, I would just use hydroguard from the get go. Your res temp is probably pretty high if itā€™s around 80 in the box so the hydroguard could help with the bacteria, or your only other options really are to move to a cooler area like a basement or get a water chiller. I had root rot once on my first grow, hot and humid in the summer where I am so I got some but now Iā€™ve moved her into the basement, I have concrete floors in my ā€œlaundry areaā€ (itā€™s unfinished lol) but perfect for the Grobo in my opinion. Iā€™m still using the hydroguard cause I just donā€™t want to chance it :+1:

1 Like

So dont use the Hydroguard on this grow?

While Iā€™m cleaning the unit should I put the probes in a cup of water while Iā€™m cleaning the unit. I donā€™t want to damage the probes. Thought they need to be in water at all times

1 Like

Yeah sorry put the probes in water while youā€™re cleaning. Once your unit is sterilized and youā€™re ready to fill it again add the hydroguard to your water before you fill it up. Follow the instructions but itā€™s like 5ml for the res I believe. And yeah use it for the whole grow now and from now on in the future

2 Likes

Betā€¦Thanks Russā€¦About to clean in a few. Let you know how it goes

1 Like

Good luck :+1::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Take a peek at this post, it shows how I cleaned out my roots (the 3rd time this happened). :wink:

https://www.allgrowers.com/t/3rd-grow-ak-x-critical-mass-auto-harvested/3221/12?u=vegetato

Basically just mixed some h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) with water and left the roots/pod to sit in that for an hour or two if I recall correctly; the timing is mentioned in the post. If you can give the plant a shower of mist from humidifier while that happens itā€™ll help too.

You are catching it really early so thereā€™s still hope.

Also, ignore anything in that post about not using hydroguard; the room temps contributed the most to my issues.

One other thing you can look into is the ā€œrechargeā€ product that a few others are using, I found using that to be a bit like steroids for the roots (for lack of a better comparison). Iā€™m about to introduce it into my grows in smaller quantities to find the sweet spot, as usually I use too much. It does not replace hydroguard, itā€™s another similar beneficial fungi/bacteria type of product.

3 Likes

I think I figured out what happened. I didnā€™t follow the cleaning instructions all the way. Where it says use " solution of 50% water (tap is fine) with 50% vinegar." I did 50% of a gallon of vinegar and the rest water. Grobro takes 2-2 1/2 gallons of water. I should have did 1 gl water and 1 gl vinegar and 50/50 of the solution the rest of the 1/2

2 Likes

Iā€™m cleaning it now. Iā€™m letting it soak for 30 minutes now. I thinking about doing it again after 30 minutes. Whatā€™s your thoughts?

2 Likes

Nah once should be more than fine :+1:. Just make sure that you rinse it out well, dont want anything left over after the clean :slight_smile:

o.o.kā€¦great. i was just thinking i didnā€™t want to over do it

1 Like

what about this part it says do? i havenā€™t done it beforeā€¦" Bonus cleaning If you notice your airstone is slowing down the flow of bubbles into your tank, you can clean it too. After step 7 above, prepare a 35% hydrogen peroxide solution (mixed 1/1 with water) and pour enough into your tank to cover your air stone. Let the system sit for an hour, then fill and drain your unit. One final wipe down and you are ready to fill your unit and begin growing again"

2 Likes