Mango Sapphire (grow 3)

Are you filling the Start with 650ml of water? Make sure the water is touching the wick but not the peat pod. @Stephen mentioned that these peat pods retain a lot of water

3 Likes

Yep I’ve been doing the 650 exactly. She just seems maybe a bit over saturated with water still. Still growing and the roots are looking great. Might just be overly concerned :joy:

2 Likes

Hard to tell from the pic but she might be fine like you said haha

2 Likes

Some better pictures… She just looks like she’s drowning. Never had my seedlings look so… sad.

1 Like

I see you’re growing cilantro and butter crunch, is it your first go on the start with those? I just got mine today and was thinking to get some Herbs going… I also see outdoor pizza tab on your screen shot! lol I have an outdoor pizza oven, I love it… another hobby/passion of mine.

1 Like

@pyromancy @vegetato @SilverGrobo @Bplatinum9

anyone have any idea how i can save this seedling? day 9 in the start but something isn’t making her grow well. i followed the instructions on set up for the pods exactly but here we are, looks as if she’s withering away. one of the cotyledons has shriveled up and has just about fallen off

2 Likes

Haven’t used my start (am about to) so can’t say too much about how it goes yet.

At first glance would think it might be due to the water pH or temperature, and agree that it looks like over-watering.

Have you taken a look underneath, how’s the pod look in terms of saturation? If the roots are touching water I’d probably remove the wick to see if that helps, as you mentioned.

5 Likes

I love a DIY project & a good pizza!
What style oven do you have?
I want to build one or several small ones for a backyard family camping night!
Yeah this is my first go with herbs in the start and I’m loving the flexibility!
I added some mint leaves I bought already potted from the grocery store today because I had a hard time finding mint leaf seeds.

4 Likes

I agree with @vegetato,
Need a look at your reservoir and roots to really provide a better answer!
The peat pods stay pretty damp although it hasn’t seem to be a problem for my grows!
I’m thinking your roots are fighting to push through the pod, did you dig a hole in the center before planting?
The piece of pod you put on top of the seed to start germination should also be removed when your seed sprouts to avoid it from laying on the stem causing dampening off.
You can temporarily add a small fan on low to see if it will help remove some pod moisture & remove that wick if roots can touch the water. :eyes::seedling:

4 Likes

@catnamedkringle You may want to consider pulling the wicks. The seedling should have some roots hitting the water by now. I pulled the wicks on day 4 and the peat pods started to dry out. My seedlings were looking drowned as well. Now that the pods are dry they are good. Be careful when refilling or topping up the Start reservoir so you don’t flood the peat pods.

4 Likes

thanks for the input everyone. i did remove the wick 2 days ago as there is a very long taproot already in the reservoir and more seems to be coming out of the peat pod also. but correct the peat pod is still veeeryy wet. hoping it’s just taking a bit for it to dry out.

1 Like

I’d like to do some basil and cilantro. I didn’t realize finding good seeds for that is so tough. Lol

I had 2 Ooni pizza ovens then finally I went all in and got this. I love it.

4 Likes

That’s the one ive been looking at!!! Lol!
Were your ooni ovens as big as the forno?? Love it!! :eyes::seedling:
I like the red one…

3 Likes

Nice! Thats the Pronto line, I have the Torino. I wanted an Alfa Oven but I couldn’t get one at the time and Forno Venetzia line if you look at all their models and specs are identical. Looks the same too… Its a great oven, if you like to cook and entertain people just gather around it. You can do a lot more than just pizzas as well… You teach me growing and I can help with your sour dough pizza recipes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@catnamedkringle,

• (#TeamHasGotYouCovered): {:green_thumb:}:

• (Wow I Hope She Pulls Through): (You Could Sop-Up-Some Moisture With Napkins To help Dry Out Your [Peat-Pod]): (It Will Speed Up The Drying Process):

• (Like I Did With Our-BlueBerry-Grow): {:wink:}:

MyBlueberry

- - -

@catnamedkringle,

https://www.allgrowers.com/t/the-new-grobo-start/8886/145

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 Likes

i am unsure if she’s improving or not. this is day 4 of early veg. i’m wondering if i should just start a new seed?? thoughts??

emphasized text

1 Like

Yeah she doesn’t look too happy. Can you provide pictures of the main stem? Let’s check for damping off. It looks like the peat pod is too wet.

How are you filling up the Start? Where is the fill float? Can you post pics?

1 Like

i actually squeezed out the peat pod and took away a loooot of the excess moisture. it was after that that there started to be some growth finally. i measure out 650ml at the water changes and i already took the wick out about a week ago

1 Like

seems like many others are having similar issues with the start. i’m wondering if starting a new seed with only maybe 550ml and only leaving the wick on until the seed pops will be a better route to go. at this rate the start is just a waste of time and a seed.

edit: thinking of maybe soaking a peat pod then squeezing out all excess water, starting a seed and using the start only for the light, only spritzing the peat pod if needed until the seed pop, and once there’s a tap root then fill the tank with 500ml water so there’s no chance of it hitting the pod and go from there :thinking: thoughts?

Hey no worries, I think she will make it. Based on one pic it looks like there was some damping off and she was starting to get thin and discolored:

I would dry and increase airflow over the peat pod and stabilize the seedling with ties if needed. Definitely keep a close eye on water levels when filling the Start. Transplant to the Grobo when it’s available.

2 Likes