Making concentrates

Well I’m trying my hand at making some concentrates, using the video that Stephen made a while back using iso. I don’t have the time or the iso to do multiple runs on one jar so I let mine soak for 1min 20 secs (don’t ask why that time I just set a random timer lol…). This is part A. Once it’s all evaporated I’ll post more pics scraping it up and putting into a shot glass for the heater and finished product sample. I’m just using my outdoor flower from last summer that has been curing since October. Hopefully this turns out well! :crossed_fingers::call_me_hand:

12 Likes

Shit that’s cool :call_me_hand:
let us know how it will turn out

1 Like

@Russel_Richardson Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Was the video easy enough to follow along with?

4 Likes

It was super easy. I’ll say this though. I thought I could do this after work, around dinner time but it did take a bit for the iso to evaporate off. I had to move it in my garage so I could cook dinner and being in the cold made the process slower, I brought it back in once I was done. So I’ll do it on a weekend when I have time now. It literally just finished the evap before I went to bed so when I get home from work, 3ish hours from now, I’m going to do the scrape into the shot glass and put’er infront of the space heater. It smelled pretty good but this is only my outdoor from last summer. I have some sweet leaf and popcorn from my first two grows that I’ll be trying this with in the near future.

Here’s a pic of when it was almost done. There was some white liquid, I’m assuming it was fats from the plant? Anyway when I got up this morning everything had finished evaporating and the residue was nice and clear amber.

I’ll do pics of the scrape and I’ll also give a smoke report later this afternoon I’ll dab it on my rig and I also have a smaller e-nail type unit I’ll try it on as well :+1:

5 Likes

I also have like 7 more jars still curing so I’m also going to do more runs of this, but I’m going to adjust times, see what happens with longer soak, less soak times. I also want to try and get as much as I can out of it.
I’m also going to try one with flower that I’ve busted up a little bit slightly, just going to shove some scissors in and loosely chop. See if that gets any more out of it, figure why not cause I’m not really doing anything with it so I can experiment :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Looks great so far @Russel_Richardson, you are right on!

Stephen

2 Likes

Thanks @Stephen !! :grin::+1:
Just waiting on the final little bubbles to finish up! Then onto the sample! :dash::dash:

Was just making sure it wasn’t getting too hot :+1:

2 Likes

Done! Going to cool it while I go to the grocery store and then I’ll be trying it in like 45 ish mins! So pumped. Looks and smells awesome

Just weighed it also, got 2.76 grams :+1:

7 Likes

It’s pretty good stuff! Not that tastiest that’s for sure but I was sober trying it, I hit a half a pea sized dab and I’m to the moon, but on a cloud :grin: lol. Fun to do and now that I know the routine it’ll be easier in the future :call_me_hand:

7 Likes

Quick question, did you decarb your bud first?? I’ve not made iso yet. :+1::v:

1 Like

Nope, in the video @Stephen didn’t decarb I don’t think so I didnt but I’m smoking/vaping, in the video where he uses this to make his gummies he did mention decarbing though I’m pretty sure, one of them he did anyway lol

1 Like

Yeah, I decarb for gummies. Was just wondering if you do the same for iso :joy::+1::v:

2 Likes

You can decarb after it’s been converted to oil, but get a bit better results when done prior to extraction if the intent is to use 100% for edibles or other uses (than smoking). I’ve heard that decarb’d oil can lead to a heavier smoke (stronger high, similar to edibles) but have also heard it reduces the typical effect of smoking.

The longer the material sits in the solvent the more the material from the plant will be extracted. The 1.5 mins wash is a good first run. You can put the material back into the freezer and just do another run later, by the way – even if there’s only 20-30 mins between runs it still helps to do this to minimize how much chlorophyll is extracted. Second runs will at least be good for making edibles with if not smoking.

I’ll be doing something similar this weekend but not with ISO, and the plan is to do 2 mins wash, then 5 mins, then 60 mins, then 48 hrs (so I’ll have 4 sets of extract from each batch of material). In my case, the first washes are intended for smoking and the later washes are for edibles so I won’t be decarbing first.

EDIT: Here’s what I’m using instead of ISO in case anyone was curious:

9 Likes

No need to decarb oil if you are smoking it!

I’m going to run a big batch this weekend too. Probably make gummy bears again. Moulds on the way! Bears and dinos this round…

Stephen

7 Likes

Sounds like we have similar weekends planned! Good luck and good eating…

Stephen

2 Likes

Where did you grab that bottle @vegetato?

We can get it locally now (in Ontario) – will send a PM with info.

1 Like

Very interesting

2 Likes