Loud Noise

Did a drain and fill yesterday. Now i have a loud banging (ball bearing ball continually bouncing). I shut off the unit and cleaned the top. Both back fans have air moving and are working. I thought it was top fan for the light, but when you put your ear to the top, it sounds like its coming from the bottom or bottom left of the unit. But its just in regular flower lights on mode, so nothing is being used? So a fan? Yes? Am I crazy? I have spare fans if i have to turn this off and put something on, but my wife wont be able to do homework with this noise, you can hear it on a different floor.

Anyone else have this problem? What was it?

@Bplatinum9 @Mpower11 @miami5th

7 Likes

Hey! Sorry to hear this is happening. Can you describe the sound more - is it high pitch or low? a knock or a squeeling or rattle?

It sounds like maybe the top fan? Mine has started to make a whirling noise and something is rattling in the light box area.

Or maybe it’s something near the bottom of the unit as you mentioned. There are a bunch of pumps down there but I don’t think there are any fans. Are you able to remove the back and side panels for additional testing? You can access the jumper plugs for the fans + pumps.

Also I want to say once you remove the top of the unit there is another circuit board there and you can temporarily unplug the top fan to see if that’s the culprit.

Good luck man and keep us posted! I have some schematics and pictures from support if you want them.

8 Likes

Any way you can post a short video of the noise? Like a youtube link or something?

2 Likes

Sounds like a small metal ball bouncing non stop in a cage…cant describe it more than that. I dont want to unug the top light until grobo says so.
Ive taken apart the entire unit and not sure what’s below that would make that noise. Its clearly not where it sounds like it is. I have all the manuals, thanks im good.

4 Likes

Ok here is a picture of the top circuit board. I believe the top fan is powered by the black & white cable. You can try unplugging that and seeing if the noise stops.

4 Likes

That keeps the light from overheating and wtong cord. Just north of it on edge

1 Like

Right, but to help identify the source of the loud noise you can temporarily unplug it

1 Like

Video and audionoy able yo upload

1 Like

its definitely the pump motor at the back of the unit. I can slip my finger in the back door and feel it vibrating, which means taking the whole unit apart to replace. Not a quick 15 min monday morning fix :frowning:

5 Likes

Great find! The pump motor you mentioned, are you referring to the air pump? Or the pH/Nute pumps?

1 Like

Water pump.
I will have to replace it according to Grobo, hopefully it doesnt drive my wife bonkers all week during mid terms lol.

It literally sounds like a ball smashing on metal non stop
all night all day.

3 Likes

Water pump as in the drain/fill pumps?

2 Likes

I bought this pad, cut it up and put it inside as the wires/pump in the back unit was making a lot of noise. Not sure if that will help in this situation.

3 Likes

Im worried about puting anything back there as i can see my nutrients Re leaking from somewhere all over the floor. I havent replaced the motor on this machine and it feels loose. On the other machine i replaced it over a year ago and ended up having yo screw her in tight because of sound issues

3 Likes

I have had quite a few hardware issues to the point I leave the back and side panels loose to easily take on and put back. I have replaced multiple pumps and circuit boards by this point. If you want to make the banging stop simply open the side panel, go to the bottom and locate the circuit board. There are wires tagged with what they are connected to, air pump, water pumps etc. Unplug the water pump. Use a glove so you don’t risk leaving any oil from your fingers on the circuit board.

6 Likes

Sorry Todd about your woes… I haven’t had the luxury of having to replace that part, as of yet! Let me know how it works out.

2 Likes

Its not my favorite to replace as it requires removing a side panel and back panel and shes full on flowering.

4 Likes

Its all good, ive replaced every part in the grobo

6 Likes

Murphy’s Law…

4 Likes

Sounds like you have it under control. Hope the repair is easier than it sounds

7 Likes