Just ordered Grobo

wait what?..the grobo is good for 2 grows?..am i missing something? lmbao

2 Likes

No the water thermometer that was posted above.

1 Like

oh yea waste of money and time…if your comfortable in the room your plants in…your plant is comfy too…no need for the extra monitoring unless you growing for patients,but for personal use absolutely overkill

2 Likes

The temperature monitor is for the water, not the plant. When the water temperature reaches 72°F is where bad things happen (bacteria growth that can kill the plant) - we want to keep it around 70°F or lower as much as possible (and/or use treatment to buffer that boundary a bit).

2 Likes

@vegetato i know the meter is for the water and you can use products like hydrogaurd to prevent root rot if water temps are high but monitoring water temps is overkill for personal use…ive done frozen water bottles to expensive ass chillers to keep water temps down in dwc…not worth it to get quality buds…diff story for commercial growers but for this lil grobo…def not needed

2 Likes

this is a very subjective topic :wink: I have to disagree with you, as in my case it’s one of the only metrics I need to monitor on a day to day basis. But for some it is totally unnecessary, yes.

The reason I disagree is because I weigh the expense of a $20 thermometer against the time taken to start over because I didn’t notice the water temp had increased.

2 Likes

hey,whatever works for you…is all that matters lol ,but ive done small and ive done scale

1 Like

you must be very relaxed with your grow not to catch root rot lol ive cut roots all the way to the net pot and she recovered

1 Like

I try not to spend much time fussing with it if possible, but always end up pulled in for one thing or another. :timer_clock:

Indoor growing and dwc is new to me (about 12 months in now), but would say that I’m picking it up quickly. somewhere on this forum are some outdoor pics (a couple of the 12’ trees from last year) – still have quite a bit of it left, too. :smoking:

I dealt with root rot 3x (thrice) in the grobo so far, and think it’s knocking at the door again but seems to be handled. What worked for me was just replacing my A/C unit. I refused to go the chiller route to deal with that and definitely wasn’t dealing with ice every few hours. I would’ve ripped the reservoir out and turned it into a soil box if that hadn’t worked. :hammer:

Some of the issues such as this one are environment-specific; what works for one person might not work (or be a desirable method) for everyone and the remedies aren’t always easily available in all areas – up in Canada it’s trickier to get hydroguard, for example.

2 Likes

Looks like I might’ve forgot to upload it, can’t find it… here’s a couple I have handy - this was the tallest one (just over 12 feet):

Before:

After:

I can’t take credit for that one (it’s my FIL’s), I just supplied the seeds and helped as needed. He’s passed on quite a bit of knowledge over the years but hasn’t done a hydro grow since the 80s.

6 Likes

wow! youve had root rot 3xs already with this thing?,man that sucks!!..but dwc is fairly easy by just sticking with the basics…i had a small high temp garden (stayed around low to mid 80’s) and it gave me some of the best bud i had ever smoked…no chillers and using regular tap water (dechlorinated) could it have been heavier yields? absolutely with all conditions dialed in perfectly and the key word is “perfectly” as far as hydrogaurd thats just the popular brand im sure you can find other products that are allowed in your country i would spend my 20 bucks on those things vs monitoring water temps,because heres the thing…what are u going to do when the meter reads high water temps?..you will either constantly use the frozen water bottle method or buy something else like a chiller…hydrogaurd or something like it is all youll really need…this is obv my humble opinion though…dont take my word for it…im just some dummy on the net lol

6 Likes

very nice man!!!

2 Likes

ahh “what do you do when the meter reads high water temps?” ← this is where I turn the A/C down a few more degrees and it usually levels out shortly thereafter. If it’s really high I top up with water from the fridge to speed that up. I usually do that check first thing in the morning.

Here in Ontario the temps can fluctuate quite a bit from one night to the next morning, especially when it’s going to rain or snow (or opposite). NY (I believe) has a similar climate. I’ve got two grobos as well so that tends to double-up on the heat output and cooling requirements.

It was possible to find hydroguard here but had to know where to look - got help from a member on this forum, actually. Recently another member found a powder-format additive (dr marijane) that is easily available here containing the same ingredients and is made by a Canadian company. It seems to be working just as well (as hydroguard), we’re both experimenting with it currently.

Welcome to the club, btw!

4 Likes

Thanks Bro!! and yea any root protcetor will keep ya girls very happy in high water temps …good luck with this grow

3 Likes

Super excited finally pulled the trigger and went with 2x Grobo Solids – It’s like adult Christmas :wink:

9 Likes

Hey @Ghost,

Welcome aboard! Let us know if we can help along your journey.

Cheers,
Stephen

2 Likes