Is my cocoa pod molding?

Day 7 of germination. And I think I will have to start over. I couldn’t get my panel to lay down flush. Today I just realized this plastic guard thing is removable.

Initially it was preventing me from laying the panel down flat. I thought it was supposed to stay in the reservoir. Will I need to buy a new cocoa pod and start the process over?

2 Likes

The plastic guard is your water sensor root guard, it is important and needs to stay in your reservoir. Your lid should not be forced down but just rested on top of the exterior walls of the reservoir. Your cocopod should be suspended slightly above the water in your reservoir, only the spray from the bubbles created by your aerator is to come in contact with the pod giving it moisture. That is not mold on your pod it is beneficial bacteria, you can leave it be. Regarding your germination, perhaps give it a few more days and if nothing pops gently inspect the hole where your seed lies and check for signs of life. If you see any cover it back up and extend Germination period, if not, scrap the seed and pod and start fresh. If you aren’t already doing so, give your seeds a head start by soaking them in a cup of water or a wet paper towel and allow them to “pop” and show a root before inserting it into your pre-moistened cocopod root side down.

4 Likes

Thanks. For the feedback. My lid sits lopsided with that guard. Your saying that’s not an issue? I left the guard out. I wont be able to get back to it probably for a couple of days. I may end up just having to scrap this grow.

Won’t be an issue until later in the grow once the roots are long enough to entangle with the water sensors. No worries about not being able to attend to it until you return. Contact support regarding your reservoir lid sitting lopsided, they will get you squared away.

2 Likes

turn your lid around. Some lids only fit snug in certain directions

2 Likes

Trust me I’ve tried turning it. To be quite honest both sides seem to be the same on my unit. Either side its lopsided.

Thnx I’m going to contact them now.

one side is slanted, that is the design as i understand. Its not completely flat, at least both my units arent. Maybe newer units are different.

2 Likes

btw that white stuff is normal. Have it on mine all the time.

1 Like

I have the newer model. The lid will basically only lay down on 3 corners. I had tried removing the guard, but I was told its needed. I’m waiting to hear back from the grobo support team. Hopefully they’ll have an easy fix for me. Cuz honestly I dnt know what to do, and I dont want to start another grow if the lid is just still going to be an issue.

1 Like