How can i tell the proper depth of coco pod if i cant see it?

I’ve tried 3 different depths. Maybe I didn’t squeeze it enough, but I followed the instructions per the video and I’m pretty sure I did. Thanks for the note re: timed cycles. that makes more sense. I was under the impression that the machine was sending information to a server somewhere.

1 Like

Too much water has to be one or the other since the only water the pod can get is the water you start it with or water from being low in the reservoir. Maybe it’s not too wet at all though and will sprout soon!

As for the coco pods, you could order another brand via amazon as long as it has similar dimensions.

Here’s one option, but I don’t know what the dimensions are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJIYPI4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2 Likes

Another DEAD seed. This is pathetic. I want a refund.

FYI I think those are peat pods – we want coco pods for hydro.

2 Likes

Oh, does peat not work for hydroponics?

Not sure what these are made of, but they’re labelled for hydroponic use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IU8K2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

1 Like

*Actually, just searched the “questions” section of the product page and these are made of 89-99% peat moss.

1 Like

These are coco pods:

https://www.amazon.com/Viagrow-Super-Plugs-Organic-Starter/dp/B004TAAJPS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1UGQRQT8LNT6V&dchild=1&keywords=coco%2Bseed%2Bstarter%2Bplugs&qid=1588779125&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=coco%2Bsee%2Clawngarden%2C176&sr=1-7&th=1

1 Like

My understanding on why they’re less desirable than coco for hydro is:

• they’re not as pH neutral
  • they can hold too much water and drown seedling (less water in res can offset, but we do opposite tuned for coco)
  • when they decompose it falls apart and can clog the system
    • not to mention that depending on brand/etc they can be dirty (think mud in the system)

It’s almost the same argument as soil vs coco (one is cleaner and easier to maintain). I’ve only used peat along with soil to sponge it up a bit.

2 Likes

Where are you getting your seeds from?

I get my seeds from ILGM

Can you expand on your comment “another dead seed”? Maybe some pictures too?

1 Like

How many times did you use the same strain?

1 Like

Yeah I agree, should post some pics of the dead seeds. Could be the seeds :man_shrugging:

I’ve tried 3 different strains.

1 Like

Will have to kill another to post pictures, but I’ll try. Here are the originals:

1 Like

One other thing to double-check is your water source - is it RO, distilled, or from the tap?

Using distilled water

I had a couple of failed grows to start with too. I know that feeling of disappointment. When I started with the third one I soaked the coco pod for 30 minutes with distilled water and weighted down the pod in the glass. Then took it out and squeezed it out as recommended and popped seed in. Pod placement level with lid. I attributed the the two failed grows to impatience on my part. I just listened to the Grobo prompts and 5 days later she popped out. I did modify environment with humidifier on top and tower fan on the side to keep fresh air circulating. @Centervillain

2 Likes

30 minutes is really too long to soak your pod though.
It only takes five minutes or less to get fully wet.

This video shows pod soaking…

2 Likes

Just sharing what worked for me. I do respect your advice that you have given me thru my growing experience and will continue to do so.

1 Like