Grobos going offline? anyone else?

Both of my Grobos have been going offline and trying to reconnect for about the last 15 minutes. Sometimes they reconnect for a few minutes, then back to the fast blinking blue led.

All other wireless 2.4g devices are connected and fine. Only the Grobos are offline and struggling to reconnect.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Can anyone confirm the Grobo MAC address sequencing? Is this correct?

E0-4F-43-BA-XX-XX

Where XX is specific for each Grobo unit. We may all share the first 4 sets of numbers.

Is there a way to locate this info w/o disconnecting wifi?

Last time I saw that number I was connecting/reconnecting Grobo to wifi, but I will say that I don’t believe I had six pairs of characters.

hey man yes there are a few ways. The MAC might be printed somewhere on the back of the Grobo but I can’t easily access mine.

So I was trying to identify the 2 units based on the mac address as I was looking at the DHCP table aka connected clients table inside my router

ACtually both my Grobos just went offline at 7:38pm. Trying to reconnect. All other wired, wireless, and 2.4g wifi devices are connected ok.

Anyone else’s Grobo disco?

Chances are the MAC address can only be found on the WiFi adapter which would be under the top cover on the upper board. I just checked the back of my Grobo and the only thing on there is the serial number.

I’m logging into my switch right now to see if I can dig up the MAC address, if I do I’ll post the manufacture’s portion of it.

Here’s what I’m showing:

1 Like

@SWSVIC beat me to it. The prefix is E0:4F:43

1 Like

Thanks! Anyone else’s Grobos going offline/online sporadically today and yesterday evening?

I have not experienced any interruptions since we spoke last night.

E0-4F-43 is the same as mine are, so that’s probably the right mac. The first 3 remain constant for the chipset and the last 3 are different on each device.

How far from your router is your Grobo? Not that it should matter much, 2.4 gHz should not have much, if any, signal degradation unless you live in a residential area with a fuckton of other people who’s 2.4 gHz WiFi is on the same channel.

There’s are programs you can download and run on a laptop that let you create a Wi-Fi Heatmap. This can be help you to see if your WiFi channels are overlapping with someone else’s, which would cause connection issues like yours.

In my old job I used a program called Wi-Fi Heatmap. There is a free version, but they don’t make it easy to find.

Some options here if you want to make a heat map.

2 Likes

Like @vegetato said, the first three identify the manufacturer. The last three are the unique identifier for yours. If you’ve ever heard of MAC address spoofing, this is why it’s so easy to do, and why you should never set up your router to use MAC address’s as connection security.

What I did was logged into my router and gave the my Grobo a static IP.

One Grobo is about 10ft away from the router. The other Grobo is about 25ft and thru a couple of walls. I find it odd that both Grobos would go offline and none of the other wireless devices lose connection. I even have 2.4g wifi cameras on the grobo and they stay connected. Just the Grobos disco

Are both of them up to date with the latest firmware?

I have a sneaking suspicion it’s interference with someone else’s WiFi. Are you able to manually change the channel In your router that your WiFi uses?

Does it happen randomly, or at similar times during the day? Both go offline at the same time?

What kind of router do you have? Have you checked to see if it needs a firmware update? If you are familiar with a program called Wireshark, this can help identify connection issues. Such as if the packet going fro your Grobo to their server 1. Makes it to the router, 2. If there is a successful handshake & connection established, 3. If the packet makes it to the server, you will see an ack reply from their server, 4. If there is an error within the contents of the packet, 5. If the connection request to their server times out.

Only a small amount of things you can find out from Wireshark. Oh, it’s also 100% free open source.

A word of advice before using it. If you are on a corporate WiFi, they probably have intrusion detection software and hardware in place which will flag Wireshark as hostile. When I was in college we’d screw with the director of the schools IT and turn Wireshark on while we were connected to the schools WiFi. He didn’t like having to trek over to our classroom (he always knew it was us).

2 Likes

Also the distance of them makes me think it’s a issue with signal congestion. Do you have parental controls enabled on your router?