Grobo Sticker

Ya that’s interesting to me! I like the way both look. The biggest thing I’m noticing with the new units compared to my not even year old unit yet, are those fans. Probably better air distribution.

1 Like

I never noticed our fans were different, can you post a pic?

I can’t speak to that as I don’t have an older unit, but the temps in side have been between 72-76 degrees constant before I added a fan

With on the outside I’m hovering at 72. The fan is on the lowest setting and very quiet. It’s an amazon basics. Pretty sure it was like 12$’s

I didn’t think the fans in the unit even come on during germination?

1 Like

@Dew @Bplatinum9

The fans are model nidec d80r-12tm

Pay no attention to the harbor Rh/temp thermometer it is really off as far as true temps

2 Likes

@Bplatinum9

Correct, both fans are current off

The nidec fans are essentially “high powered” computer fans with a non-standard input. They appear to be 6pins and not your typical 2 or 4. I haven’t taken a look at the board or connectors.

If ever one fails and you’re OOW replacements can be purchased for about 40$’s from a lot of vendors.

2 Likes

First bottom fan kicks in on day 11 better know as the first day of early veg. :+1:

3 Likes

@Azuri, I was just wondering why @James, unit needed an outside fan so soon, we just got our units 2-3 days ago and I often check to see if my machine is functioning properly against some of his experiences! I appreciate the info just the same because even reading 2.4k posts I still forget or get scared to do things wrong. And with all the reading I know well enough that your almost Never wrong!

1 Like

That I do not know.

The two internal fans are for the growing and flowering stages. The cooling fan / charcoal filter fan in the top of the unit for the light and circuit board are exactly for their designed purposes. Those run at all times.

I’ve not suffered any overheating issues so don’t have any feedback on that. I add an additional fan(s) to all my grows to harden and create good airflow from plant perspiration which can lead to mold and other issues.

2 Likes

Hey @Bplatinum9

I don’t need the outside fan at all. It was a test to see how much airflow I could force into the grobo as well as an attempt to slowly cool the water inside. My grow area temps were solid without the external fan. Sorry for the confusion

Since adding ithe external my water temps have decreased 2 degrees. Won’t be enough so I purchased the chiller as I have no intentions of wasting time on failed crops.

2 Likes

I was truly hoping we wouldn’t need a chiller in the Midwest!

1 Like

@Azuri, good to know! Where exactly do you keep your outside fan? I want to know the most effective location if I ever suffer from overheating. Plus my unit is in the front room so id hate to make the room look junky!

You may not. A lot of folks are having successful grows without them. I might too, but rather than risk the loss and wasted time I am doing what’s necessary to ensure the ecosystems stability.

A wise man told me that if you could also opt to put the unit on square stone that can bought really inexpensively at homedepot or wherever. The stone will stay cool. If your unit is on carpet it’s likely pulling in heat rather than keeping the bottom cool.

Just check your water temps. You can use any old liquid meter. Some can be purchased as Wally World for a few dollars. My tds meter has one and so does my ph meter. The little lady also has one for general kitchen use

3 Likes

Unfortanttly I don’t know of a tidy situation. I have the luxury of dedicated room in the basement for growing. When the light is on I have an osculating fan blowing on my plants and open the door of the grobo and have some air blowing in from the front.

4 Likes

Found this pic from forum circles are the older units-

1 Like

Thanks @Dew, so from what I can see in your pick the only difference is the design. Looks like the new design will stop leaves from getting stuck/chopped. One more for the grobo team! :medal_sports::seedling:

3 Likes

@Stephen, Your the best!!! I really appreciate you!!! Thanks Grobo Team!!! :pray::100::rainbow::seedling:

2 Likes

How is the round hydrometer compared to the others? I thought about investing in one but haven’t decided because the price is so high.

@Bplatinum9

The hvac guys at a production facility I sometimes visit were very impressed with it. I originally bought 3 cheapo units on amazon. All of them were wildly off. I did keep one and sent the other two back. Some were off by almost 10 degrees from my homes thermostat.

The round unit is significantly more expensive (think I paid 140$) for it. The hvac guys used there very expensive monitors side by side and this unit was very comparable to their thousand dollar devices. I highly recommend for those whom want pinpoint accuracy for rH and Temp to pick one up.

I ended up keeping a 20$ unit as well which was only off 4 degrees true temp and 6% rH

2 Likes