Grobo in a locker

Hi all,

I have just set up my Grobo in my appartment for the first grow and everything and I was wondering if anyone put theirs in a locker or something? To reduce sound and possibly smell in the future?

I just have been thinking that it will be a bit too loud in the appartment in the long term and had the idea to custom build a wooden closet and insulate it a bit from the inside.

Has anyone ever done that? Might it get too hot in there during let say summer time?

Appreciate your thoughts :slight_smile:

cheers,
david

6 Likes

Hi David, welcome to the forum. I’ve never done that but I do know that with anything electronic it’s good to have a ventilation system so it doesn’t over heat. I’ve seen on people put theirs inside closets.

1 Like

Hi!
Same here. I modified a „Pax“ from Ikea and 3d printed a ventilation adapter. See link below

Cheers

3 Likes

Oh wow thanks a lot! That looks really nice!

Did you just connect it to the upper vent at the back?

cheers

Yes, I taped the adapter on it to be easily accessible for servicing. I cut a hole at the bottom in the back of the locker where fresh air comes in. Going through the grobo it is sucked away by the adapter where a turbine is place in the airflow to suck the air from the grobos back and push it upwards through the additional carbon filter in the upper area of the locker. Behind the filter is an extra cutout in the back of the locker to let the warm air pass outside.
Mine started to smell after few days in early veg and the builtin filter was no big help.

Seems like a smart design! :slight_smile:

I have also some smell concerns and already closed all the small gaps in the Grobo with silicone, maybe that helps a bit to increase the filter efficiency, too.

2 Likes

Grobo’s filter helps with smell but ultimately it will depend on the strain you’re growing. Some smells are just too strong to completely contain.

2 Likes

It is doable, but you should keep a careful eye on the temps inside and outside the Grobo. If the machine get’s too hot it will shut itself down. If it’s too warm in the closet it can cause issues with bad bacteria growing in the water.

Edit: Also after awhile you will get used to the noise. The fans in my tent used to annoy the hell out of me, now I don’t even notice them.

2 Likes

Yea the main issue with sound was the missing tube for the air pump, was like a motorbike without the muffler ^^

I have it now in a cabinet, 1 thermo in the water, 1 in the air mid box.
I noticed that sometimes the temp goes up to 27°C and then I open the doors for some circulation which helps immediately.
Long term I think I will add some kind of air vents in the back to get rid of some of the heat that seems to be trapped behind the Grobo.

2 Likes

@d4ve3000 yeah you are onto something about trying to remove heat exhaust. Check out @SWSVIC 's odor reduction mod as well as @KeefGreenLeef 's odor elimination mod. They both improve airflow, exhaust, temps, and odors.

2 Likes