Granddaddy Purple (Fem) ILGM - Grow Numero Uno

Day 19 - 9/14 Early Vegetation.

Worked up the courage to peek at my roots and take a picture… I’m completely new to all of this, do these roots look normal for this stage?

I’ve had a tiny bit of a problem getting the water temp down, it’s been hovering around 70 the past couple of days where it was around 66 previously. Air temp has been staying around 70-74, finally got the humidity to come up some too.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Looks good.
I think you will need to push up your pod. You want to make sure its not touching the water.

1 Like

Hey Folks! A little update on my grow. I had an issue damping off occur early on. I did end up removing the first two sets of leaves because they had shriveled up and turned brown as a result. Since then, I have started using Hydroguard and followed some much needed advise from some of the growing community here on AllGrowers. I have added a fan to strengthen the plant, added a 6L humidifier, an air purifier for the room, and am keeping my basement around 71 using a space heater. I started my grow during the coldest part of this winter which lead to some issues managing temps and humidity levels.

I did extend early vegetation to help fight damping off after being told the water level is lower during early veg. I’m currently on day 32 overall, Day 22/23 of extended early vegetation. She seems to be doing okay now, just still a little small in my opinion?

Anyway, she’s getting about to where she’s to the 5-6th node, what’s everyone’s opinion on topping her? I’ve read that if she’s struggling at all it’s best to not top her, but she seems like she’s okay? (Or does she?) And is she too small to even consider topping now anyway? I’m adding pictures of what she looks like right now.

3 Likes

My very 1st grow in Grobo was gdp also… it’s so very strong actually too damn strong and I been smoking since 12… 2 puffs anybody who’s had it was done just taps out! I’ve had the best of the best and that strain by far is my favorite!

1 Like

GDP has been my favorite for years now…never can find it at dispensaries here in Illinois either. I do purchase lots of Purple Punch though, which is really similar.

Little update… she’s moving right along. Curiosity got the best of me and I topped her a week or two ago. She’s starting to get a little bass in her voice it seems.

5 Likes

Extended late veg another week

4 Likes

2 Likes

Looking good :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, brother!

1 Like

Hey folks, I’m at transition day 6/14. I checked on my roots real quick this morning…everything look normal here? The root color and texture is bugging me! Then again, this is my first grow so what do I know :flushed: … my plant looks healthy (to me) and I’ve been adding 10-15 ml of hydroguard every drain and fill for the past month at least. My reservoir temp stays consistently around 68 during the day. Does this look like the beginning root rot or just staining from nutrients?

1 Like

Did a little trimming today to open up some light.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Noticed today she was touching the light… top of the plant was burnt pretty bad. I did what I could to get her away from the light, there were a few leaf casualties in the process. At day 15/41 of flower, it’s a bit discouraging to see her out growing the box, next grow I’ll start training earlier. We’ll see how she does! Buds look good though!

1 Like

Here’s a comparison if anyone’s interested. The first shot is my 88 day old Granddaddy Purple from my Grobo (veg extended 2 weeks, topped), the second picture is a 53 day old Granddaddy Purple in my tent that I did not top, and the third picture is my 65 day old Granddaddy Purple that was topped. The two in the tent went on the 12/12 schedule at the same time, even though one is a couple of weeks younger. The youngest GPD that was not topped is my tallest plant by far, it’s at least 8 inches taller than the one in the tent that I did top and had more time to veg. It’s also taller than my Girl Scout Cookies Extreme that was planted on the same day as the oldest GDP. These were all from the same pack of feminized photo seeds from ILGM.

Here’s a height comparison (look at the pots at the bottom.) Left to right is: 65 Day Old GDP (topped), 65 Day Old GSC Extreme (topped), 53 day old GDP (not topped, 2 weeks less veg time)

Shot of the canopy. The tent grow sure looks more neat and organized than the Grobo! (My wife calls it a fishbowl, but she’s a hater!) I’m anxious too try them all out and see the difference!

5 Likes

She’s getting real frosty

4 Likes

I made the decision tonight to move the Grobo out of the hot basement and into my bedroom with the drying tent. Been struggling with 85+ degree temps and water reservoir temps averaging 76-77. Fortunately, this plant has been a champ and seems healthier and more green than the ones grown in the tent, and much frostier. It has been a slow grower though, mainly due to the heat. I’ve extended flower twice and almost extended it again. Another issue is our air conditioning went out in our home, which we need to get fixed but have been putting off since there’s weed growing in the basement. It’s a legal grow, just don’t want the attention. Window units work for now but we move tripped the breaker a couple times.

This morning I noticed the temp inside the box was 87 and decided I was going to just cut it despite still seeing a fair amount of clear trichomes. I’m on day 8/10 of flush, and it was water change day. After draining the water I decided to move it up to the bedroom where there’s a window unit keeping the room around 72 and humidity is 50-60%. If I fucked it up, was just going to harvest. Moved it upstairs after draining with no issues. Trichomes finally look like they’re about done. I think in two days when I get to day 10/10 of flush I’m going to cut it.

This granddaddy purple will be flowering for nearly 11 weeks (transition included) once the flush cycle completes. My other two GDP’s in my tent were harvested at 9 weeks. I’m excited to see if there’s much of a difference between:

Granddaddy Purple - Grobo flowered for 11 weeks, topped.

Granddaddy Purple - Tent, flowered 9 weeks, not topped

And

Granddaddy Purple - Tent, 9 weeks, topped, 36 hours of darkness before harvest (only one to do this).

You’ll get the smoke report after all 4 of the plants part of my Grobo/Tent Combo First Grows have cured for a few weeks.

I have a moisture meter on the way (the kind you use to test drywall for mold, they have two prongs on them) to test for optimum time to jar the buds up. Also have Ball Wide Mouth Amber 32oz jars coming with some extra boveda packs.

Ready to start my next Grobo grow as soon everything’s dry. I’m going to use the Grobo to dry rather than my drying tent. My next tent grow will be delayed until I figure a few things out. I should have enough weed to last me for a little bit so I have some time to plan.

2 Likes

56 grams of frosty buds is the dry weight! They are noticeably more frosty than my two tent GDP’s. They flowered more weeks and dried longer. Loving my tent GDP’s and eager to try these in a couple weeks!

Very happy with my final out come between my tent grow and grobo. Over 300 grams plus a few ounces of trim/fluff which will be made into concentrates.

5 Likes

Grobo coming in as the clear winner between the tent grow and the Grobo

5 Likes