Germinate first or plant directly in Grobo

I’ve ordered some auto seeds and the seller (growers Choice) has a germination guide. Grobo recommends just putting the seed in the pod hole and then covering it after soaking the pod. However, the seed could be a dud, and then I’m losing precious time. Has anyone germinated first outside to see the health of the seed and then planted it in the Grobo coco pod? What do users here feel on the subject ?

3 Likes

Germ first. I did not on first grow but I’ve done it with every other seed I’ve had and will germ before from now on for grobo. :call_me_hand: many have germed before had with success as well

3 Likes

I agree with @LtcTerps here @RockyMountainHermit . I use the paper towel method and it has not let me down. Saves you from trying to start a dud seed and technically it gives my recipes an extra few days as I do not ‘start grow’ until I have that nice tap root and actually put seed into coco pod in unit. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I germinated in a cup over night and although it wasn’t even 24 hrs I could tell she was trying to pop from the greenery that was spotted. I think its a wonderful way to check your seeds before waisting pods and time.

6 Likes

My current grow and all my grows germinate outside of their homes. Some folks like to soak their seeds in water for 12-24 hours before others like the paper towel. It’s personal preference

For the grobo, I soaked in distilled water at room temp for 12 hours and she was already starting to leave her shell behind so I placed her into the cocopod and went on from there.

4 Likes

I agree on germinate outside. I first tried in the unit, and had three dud seeds in a row. That amounts to a lot of time and probably nutes as well (perhaps someone could confirm the nute part) just to find a bad seed.

6 Likes

Nutrients don’t dispense during germination period of 1-10 days. Nutrients dispense during drain and fills, starting at early vegetation.

4 Likes

I always use the paper towel method and toss it somewhere warm, top of a cable box is good too. Usually takes 3-4 days. Youll want to transplant to the rooting cube once the taproot begins to look fuzzy. You also then won’t have to worry about the seed getting stuck to the leaves, wet the seed and gently use tweezers to remove if needed. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks. Does that include PH adjustment?

1 Like

You dont need PH adjustment just wet a paper towel and let the seed germinate. Even if you use the cube I doubt they will adjust the PH. Just use distilled water…

3 Likes

You never ph a seedling, or more to the point a seed in germination :+1::v::joy:

4 Likes

Well, that’s cool. I thought I was wasting stuff on those dud seeds. I still will not try in the unit again due to the time factor. Waiting the recommended time for each one before starting over meant over a month from receiving the unit till I saw any growth. I was a sad Mr Break

1 Like

@RockyMountainHermit,

Germinate

((#4th+5thPlantInGrobo)):

Green Crack - Sativa - Grows

Budzilla Cannabis-Hybrid Grows

Acapulco Gold - Sativa Grows

Obi Wan kush - Hybrid - Grows

All 5-seeds were germinated in the Grobo, either way works… Owner Preference… :wink:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::groboone::green_thumb:

3 Likes

My first seed I put inside the grobo and it was a dud. From then on I germinated outside and then put it inside the grobo.

5 Likes

How particular do you have to be with the germinated seed placement in the coco pod? Does the tail need shoved down in inside the hole pretty well?

1 Like

My first time so I am no expert. I soaked mine for 14 hours and then just put it in the Coco pod, it sprouted in the Coco pod

As long as ur not forcing root stem in pod u should be ok.

2 Likes

I have actually transplanted into my coco pod lol. I had started in rockwool but it had stretched too far and the stem needed support. I dug it out of the rockwool and with tweezers I gently stuffed the roots into the cocopod. I split the coco pod open a bit to make it easier. I then just put the coco pod In my dwc and that was it. 4 mos later I got 6oz.

3 Likes

6oz in a grobo?

I did the same thing with a clone from rockwool to coco pod. Just split the pod down the middle and keep as many of the roots in the pod as possible. Had no issues.

Everywhere I’ve read has sad germinate outside then bring in, not just with Grobo. What’s the advantage of doing it right in the coco pod that’s worth it being a dud?

2 Likes

No 6oz in grobo lol. It was in my tent.

1 Like