First grow: Blue Widow

Hey @DEisen

Your plant is definitely on the short side an it will finish that way as you are nearing the end of the stretch.

1. Running the Grobo recipe time wise (without at least a short extension of late Veg.) is almost never recommended.

2. I believe you also had a slow grower/stunted plant on your hands.

These 2 things in conjunction are are very likely to be the cause of the small size of the plant. Also, have you been removing your plant from the unit every time you trim? I don’t believe this is a good practice as it causes your roots to be exposed to light for an extended period of time which is a definite no no.

2 Likes

The transistion phase is technically the flowering stage correct? 12/12 light cycle… i don’t know if extending this part would help with your grow

1 Like

That is correct, I don’t believe there is any reason to extend transition. If there is, it is unbeknownst to me, please correct me if so.

-Extend Germ: If seedling isn’t ready fo nutrients.

-Extend Early Veg: If plant isn’t ready for increased nutrient load of Late Veg.

-Extend Late Veg: To grow plant to desired size to ensure proper height/desired yield.

-Extend Transition: No reason that I’m aware of.

-Extend Flower: To achieve desired trichome ripeness.

4 Likes

I didnt know that i could manually extend or even extend any grow phases until after it moved to transition. The two issues i had that might have an impact is that there was not a Blue Widow recipe. I was told in here to change recipe to a basic generic so i did, afterwards, i was told by Todd i think, with grobo, to use a recipe closer to this strain so i picked the blueberry recipe. Both recipe changes reset the germination phase. Not sure if that had an impact. I change water every week and during trimming, i remove plant from grobo and place in a small tub with clean average temp water and try to trim quick to avoid shock. With plant tray on top of tub, the roots are able to be kept from light sources.
Also, I’m not sure if I’m trimming too much at once, trimming too much in general at a time or trimming fan leaves that i shouldn’t.
The only time i am able to trim is during the plants sleep cycle which is lights out at 4pm for twelve hours… i have no knowledge as to how to have the 12 hour period gradually switch to a time for when its awake when i get home from work.

3 Likes

A lot going on there my man, Grobo can only make it so easy right?!

-How far into the grow were you when you changed the recipes each time?

-Removing the plant from the Grobo to trim is definitely creating more “shock” than trimming at a little slower of a pace inside the Grobo, I recommend that you discontinue this practice.

-After reviewing your thread I do believe that you over defoliated during at least one session early on in the grow, afterwards she should have been given ample time to recover in late Veg. before moving to Transition. This is most likely the cause of stunted growth. Note: Never take more than 20% of growth in any single defoliation session. After defoliating your plant needs about a few days to a week to recover (growth will slow or halt during this period). It is a good idea to do your defoliating sessions in sequence with water changes so that the plant receives a fresh dose of nutrients to recover with. It is also a good practice to defoliate in the morning just after the lights turn on so that she has plenty of light throughout the day afterwards which also aids in recovery.

-Letting your flowering plant receive light after “lights out” is also going to cause harm to your plant as it is confused as to what it should be doing at that particular time in its growth. It could very well cause your plant to “herm” and create seed pods all over your bud sites which essentially ends your grow. Might you be able to defoliate and perform your weekly water change early in the morning before work? Your future plants will greatly appreciate it!

For this plant I don’t think I would do anything else to her. She’s at the end of her stretch and your going to get what you’re going to get out of her. You definitely learned a ton during this initial grow, thus the next one will be done right! Do not hesitate to ask questions on anything you are unsure of here on AG. I am new to growing also but through research and shameless/no holds bar question asking I have learned a lot of what to do and what not to do in a very short time. Put in a little extra time and execution on the next grow and you’ll be amazed! Keep at it!

4 Likes