Feedback on Smell

@Growya sorry, didn’t mean to withdraw the post. I’m on my first grow and while I’m still in the vegetative stage, my experience is consistent with @chris_barfield post above that there is a noticeable smell when you get close to the unit. I anticipate that this will only get worse during flowering. I understand that smell reduction is a much more realistic expectation but Grobo boldly claims smell PROOF on their website and that your house won’t be affected by odors. They also market themselves to new growers with little to no prior experience who might think that smell elimination can be fully accomplished. It’s only after you read these forums that you learn that ancillary measures need to be taken. And if you don’t read those, then the smell will most likely become a significant issue AFTER the 45 day warranty period ends…

@chris_barfield is right, the grobo will grow the plant and a lot of people have had great results. So far my plant looks great. But the subject matter at hand here is smell. I completely agree with him that any unit is a gamble because in the end you’re growing a smelly plant. For instance, he mentions cloudponics. I have not seen any light leaks in any videos I’ve seen on that unit (which I believe is available to the public but, as Chris said, is more expensive). BUT it grows six plants…which means six times the smell. So Chris is right, any unit is a gamble.

This is all just my two cents and in the end it’s up to you and how clandestine you’re trying to be. But this is all info I wish someone had told me before I bought mine. Im not an engineer, but it seems to me that unless the unit is air tight (which it isn’t) with carbon filters at both the air intake and exhaust then there will be smell. Potentially significant depending on strain, stage, etc.

3 Likes

Like a Refrigerator/Freezer?..

:wink::groboone::green_thumb:

3 Likes

Thanks for the honest answers @Your_mom and @chris_barfield

2 Likes

@SilverGrobo Great idea!

@Stephen have you considered replacing the current stripping around the door with the type that is found on any common refrigerator? Might be worth testing…

2 Likes

Hi @Your_mom,

Thanks for your honest feedback. We are actively exploring solutions to improve the door, the seal and the impact shipping is having on our smell reduction. The fridge seal is a great idea, one that we continue to test and consider!

Best,
Stephen

4 Likes

@Stephen I have read that ONA can impact aroma and flavor of cannabis even if it’s in the same vicinity of the grow. Is this not the case? I’m assuming grobo has an air intake, so it would make sense to expect ONA to impact the cannabis.

Or is there a filter on the air intake? I’m all about Ona, I use them in my home just as a rule because they work! But I’d like your two cents on potential impact to the plant. I know you suggest putting them up on the box. Thanks!

Cheers,
GY

After additional research, I thought I’d share this.

So if you want to help control the odor use lavender plants throughout the house or area of grow. My friend also suggests this as the aroma can be strong and sometimes overpowering.

3 Likes

Hi @Growya,

In the same room is ok, but certainly not in the grobo itself. I’ve not found any change in terps or smells or flavours when using ONA in the test lab. Having the ONA on top of the unit, it’s closest to the exhaust fan, not the intake fans.

Best,
Stephen

3 Likes

I suggest the team come up with a connection of some sort that would go over or plug into the back of grobo where air is exhausted. Square attachment with round end to clamp dryer hose to and then attach to a can filter such as a phresh filter. Could be just the attachment as an extra in the store.

5 Likes

@Stephen can you provide an update? It’s been 8 months. My plant is halfway through flower and I am having a fairly strong smell throughout the house, even 2 rooms away from where the Grobo is. I know it won’t be perfect but it smells really strongly around the door frame and I’m not sure the carbon filter is doing anything at all.

Hey @ba_zinga,

The current update is we’ve updated the door seal and recommend ONA for really stinky strains. It’s available HERE.

Cheers,
Stephen

4 Likes

Hey Stephen, I wonder if the Grobo I purchased a couple of months ago would have the updated seal?

@Beautifulbuds - If your door seal has rounded edges and is soft rubber like this, you have the new ones! If it’s harder rubber then they’re an older style.

3 Likes

Thanks Bjorn!

2 Likes

Had a stoner idea ! What if grobo integrated a diffuser onto the back of the unit so you can add the liquid ona in? Would that affect plant growth?

1 Like

@Billybendo,

((#Welcome)):

--

:wave::wink:

((#TheMoreYouknow)): :brain:

If you spray the back of the Grobo, that sent will go in through the fans from the back of the unit and disperse sent all over the plant:

--

:wink:

You may want to put the mist on the other side of the room: You got to keep us posted to let us know how your plant taste turns out:

--

1 Like

Yes I understand not putting it in the actual unit itself that wasn’t what I’m suggesting more for the outside of the unit to spray the surrounding area

1 Like

Should I worry hahahaha :joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

When it’s corrected will grobo send out to their existing customers? One of the main reasons I purchased the grobo. Kinda like a recall on a auto mobile.

1 Like

Hey @Badgro20,

We have the new seal available if you have the old one and want to update. Reach out to support@grobo.io and we can assist.

Cheers,
Stephen

4 Likes