Durban Poison - Growers Choice - Feminized

Here’s my next grow. I’ve had one successful harvest in my Grobo, all though it was a very small harvest. I’ve made many changes to the environment and hoping for at least a successful grow this time, and maybe a bit better of a harvest.

I welcome any and all constructive feedback!! :slight_smile:

I germinated the seed straight in the Grobo.

I’m running 45% RH during veg
I’m running 80 degrees F during day
Dropping to 75 degrees F at night
Water temp is being kept at 65 degrees F.

5 Likes

Day 23
Google Photos

6 Likes

Day 28
Grew it to 6 nodes. (I count 6, maybe it’s only 5 nodes if you don’t count the first set of 2 leaves at the base… some people count them, some people don’t. IDK!)

Saved the top, going to try to keep that going in case this grow fails I will maybe have a clone to start from rather than starting from seed again.

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

6 Likes

@omacoder I wouldn’t read to much into the naysayers… this has been done successfully in the grobo. See barbs grows…

@DanTom he took off the right amount and stripped what needed stripping. “Manifolding” is a different technique to than just topping. I encourage oma for stepping outside of the comfort zone of cookie cutter grows in the hopes he can have a better yield. There are a lot of positives to this (space, light, better management, more fun with your plant, even canopy from early growth training) and the same dangers as standard topping and hoping… a lot of bad info gets regurgitated here. My two manifolds were done exactly like this and I ended up with over 300 grams of cannabis (tent - soil).

I count the bottom leaf/node so you had 6, more than enough to start the manifold. 5 is good, 6 is fine too.

Train early, train often. T’s not Y’s. Assuming you’re following the nugbuckets model. To save space you can opt to cut node one (as seen in pics) <\:seedling:/> which will compact the grow, but will require more training than toping 1&3 while removing the 2nd. Doing it this way saves more space, but the tips don’t grow in the ideal directions. 1-3 will help with uniformity as the tops will grow in the same direction.

Just remember give your plant 10-14 days of recovery time before you decide to flip to flower. This means 14 days of no stress prior to 12/12. We don’t want herms…

While topping continues I always leave the last set of fan leafs. Once you get to 8 tops you can opt to remove the bottom fan leaves. You’ll also want to aim for a much higher RH value than 45 in veg. A lot of differing opinions on RH. Mine - I aim for 70-80% RH in veg. 40% is where you want flowering stage to be

Excited for you!

8 Likes

@DanTom thank you for your input!! In theory, if you let it get to 5 to 6 nodes, its roots are established where you can trim like this. It’s the start to a growing method called mainlining. I’m no pro here, so I won’t be instructing anyone HOW to correctly do this… I’m just following other people’s instructions and blogging about it!! :slight_smile:

@James man you’re full of good info!! Thank you!! I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your responses!!

I’m not following nugbucket, I found the best instructions (that I could follow) located here: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/how-to-mainline-cannabis-plants/

Good tip on the 14 days! I already busted off one of the first fan leaves :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: while doing some LST… But from what I read yes these need to remain for some period to capture the light. We’ll see what happens after this booboo. :face_with_head_bandage:

Re: RH, yes everyone has their own opinion on this. I’m trying to be guided by this. According to this you’d have way too much RH during veg. I also did seek Grobo support at determining the best RH. @chris_barfield also runs at 45%. (Or he did per his last blog I read).
Google Photos

P.S. excellent pics thanks for sharing they look great!!

3 Likes

I’m not very impressed with the outcome thus far, but it was fun to do and pretty at one time or another: :wink::innocent::nerd_face:

Blueberry - Indica - Grows

((# MyGroboMainLining )): (8-sites): ((# Topped )): :top:

((# Topped )): :top: (FirstTime): :one:

Notice I left the 2nd to 3rd branch on either side: (:v:) (:v:)

Here I held down the leaves: :leaves:

((# Topped )): :top: (8-sites): :eight:

Trying to keep the leaves down was interesting: :laughing:

Plenty of light getting to the bottom: (:bulb:)

Perfect Timing for the Sun: :sun_with_face:

--

:wink:

13 Likes

Day 39
Second topping to their 3rd node on each side of center.
Leaving all fan leaves and cut the growth tips off at the 1st and second node of each side of center.
Google Photos

5 Likes

Day 41
4 tops
Trimmed all fan leaves besides the last node

Google Photos

7 Likes

Day 44, ALMOST 6 Weeks!!
Third and final topping on all four branches.
4 tops turn into 8 tops!
I now have completed the core process of mainline training.
I opted to remove the base fan leaves and again, leave the fan leaves on the latest nodes.

Before
Google Photos
After
Google Photos

12 Likes

Hi @James looking for more info on this tip from you!
How does this info correlate to the Grobo recipe?

Can I advance to the “Transition” stage right now? Will that give me the last 14 days needed before it will switch to 12/12?

Google Photos

4 Likes

A little research and I found my own answer! :slight_smile:

I extended Late Veg by 2 weeks so that the plant can now have a full 14 days to recover.
After the 14 days, it will switch to the Transition stage, which will then switch the light cycle to 12/12.

7 Likes

Sorry for the delay, you’ve got it!

Might want to consider this as a reference guide for VPD in general

5 Likes

James thanks for the cool charts!!! Love this!!

Give me some context on the difference between the first grid and the second grid?
My grow chamber is at 80 degrees F, and 45% RH.
The first chart this puts me at a value of 19.6, which is in the red.
The second chart puts me at a value of 1.76, which is also in the red.

What’s the difference between the two charts?

1 Like

Day 60
Late Veg
Google Photos
Google Photos

12 Likes

Looking really good there @omacoder. Where do you plan on getting her height wise before you flip to 12/12?

4 Likes

I’m glad you asked! I read that you should flip once you’ve hit the height of 1/3 to 1/2 of your total vertical grow space…

@Mcmanis has grown this strain and said switch EARLY.
So if I use the 1/3 rule rather than the 1/2 rule… I would back into it:

:straight_ruler: Total vertical space in Grobo = 31 3/4" :straight_ruler:
:question: I think I need to subtract some room off of that because we don’t want the plants hitting the light, but I’m not sure how close the plant is able to safely get?:question:

Let’s say I’ll back off 5 3/4" from the light.

Total allowable growth vertical space = 26 inches.
1/3 of that is ~8.5 inches.

So as of now I plan to flip once the plant hits 8.5 inches.

BUT I would love your input!!

4 Likes

She gets really tall especially in stretch. I have a DP Auto growing right now and she just hit preflower and she’s already almost 3ft.

3 Likes

Yeah I would go the safe route this time and do the 1/3 like you said and see where it goes to, then you know for future grows if you grow this one out again. Especially knowing that Mcmanis has grown this out and currently is, better to be safe than sorry

2 Likes

Day 66
Late Veg

Google Photos
Google Photos

15 Likes

She’s grown a lot since your last pic :+1:

2 Likes