Door is not right maybe?

The box had no damage at all, and the unit looks fine, but once the light came on, you can see the door is not on right maybe?

It also makes a lot of noise and if I press in and hold on the back near the bottom the noise drops 50%, like something is loose.

Also some steps were different than on the app as the carbon filter slides in and did not have 2 screws, the bottles do not have any top support like I saw in videos and some other things. I am OK with it, just as long as it works. :grinning:

3 Likes

We fixed the loud noise issue, we put a big plastic bottle behind it and pushed it tight against the wall. The noise went down 50%. :grinning: It is still 5-6 inches away from the wall.

The door, I am not trying anything until support comments. I don’t want to ruin it or void the warranty.

3 Likes

they’ve adjusted the design from the original videos and just probably haven’t updated (in a while lol). I got mine a year ago with no upper support for the bottles. Loud noise is the air pump if it’s in the lower back side. Most change to an external air pump as this part tends to fail…AND is noisy as hell (sorry grobo but this should have been fixed by now). Here’s a pic of my grobo door, pretty sure they’re all leaking a little light on the lower side. This won’t reach your plant or affect flowering.

5 Likes

OK thanks I feel better as that looks just like mine. :grinning:

With the plastic bottle behind it, I am standing about 10 feet from it and its OK. Without the bottle there it was very loud.

4 Likes

I work with electronics so i’ve played with some things inside the Grobo (opened it all up, peeked around, warranty be damned LOL). However, I DO recommend at least having a spare pump and possibly air stone on hand just in case. The air stone is not necessary. If the pump fails during a grow and you don’t notice…you could lose your plant. I disconnected the electrical connection to the air pump shortly after getting my grobo and use one of these externally now. You could always open the back panel and see if the air pump is loose as it’s mounted at the bottom of the back panel.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0009YHU6Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_E0H5VM4KH98G7SQBF6SM
Sorry, the info won’t load but it’s a small external air pump and SUPER quiet. You just unscrew the back lower door and run the existing air hose through that. Don’t have to by any means.

5 Likes

Thanks, we will take a look. We already did buy 2 extra air stones from Grobo to be safe about that part.

$10 if it is not as loud is probably worth it.

1 Like

extra air pump and air stone is a real nice, an inexpensive upgrade.
After a year my air stone decided to get completely block, of course I did realize too late…
This is how a discovered for my self the look of roots rot…
not cool
Yet, a second pump make’s it a bit noisier

2 Likes

Rubber feet and mounted outside the metal casing…I use one 3 times that size for other things and don’t even notice it’s running. Have to feel it from time to time just to make sure.

2 Likes

Just a tip for cleaning the stone…I use Zerotol HC but you can use peroxide. Let sit for 12-24 hrs in straight solution, then let run connected to an air pump in the solution for an hour and you’ll see it working good as new. @TheDogMan this is recommended after every completed grow FYI.

2 Likes

I was just looking and all the loudest noise is coming from the back bottom, so I guess the air pump.

Once this grow is done, we might disconnect the internal and do what you did. Unless maybe you can swap out the internal with a quieter one.

It’s super small and i’ve never looked for anything that size that might fit. Also (it’s been a while) i can’t remember if it’s mounted to the metal panel or not. If it is, vibration alone will cause the panel to rattle.

That noise might just be one of the electrical wires of the air pump rattling against the back wall. That’s usually fixed by reaching in that little trap door on the back and pushing the wires away from the wall.

4 Likes

I can look at that too. I should have waited to start the grow, but were anxious.

1 Like

@vegetato My man!

2 Likes

I stuck my fingers in there blindly and think the air pump is a little loose. There is something right to the side of the hatch and if I press on it, it gets lower and louder. Once the grow is done I can look at it more, but whatever that is, it is making all the noise.

I removed the plastic bottle we were trying and the sound is still about 50% less than before, so this seems to be it.

1 Like

Can you post a photo @TheDogMan of the magnet in the lower right corner of where your door is opening and closing with the light leakage?

2 Likes

I went and looked and entire bottom is loose nothing seems to be holding it closed.

2 Likes

Is this it? Not holding anything closed.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with my bottom corner. The magnet doesn’t touch

2 Likes

We ordered that air pump you said as this is loud, all the sound is from the pump. It would be so quiet without it.

How do we disable the internal one once this comes? You can private message me if you need.

1 Like