Day 6.5 of germ

Hey all! Sitting at say day 6.5 of germ ive got a sprout and seem to have a decent root sticking out of the coco im assuming reaching water. Should i leave it be or are there any adjustments to the coco needing to be made now? Planning a drain and fill late tonight/ early tomorrow once the day 7 clock rolls around unless it will notify me at some point during day 7 to drain and fill? Pic for reference

5 Likes

Is the coco pod touching the water? We do not want the coco pod to touch the water, the pod should be hovering above the water. As your plant grows you’ll start to see more roots grow too!

2 Likes

@Aang truthfully cuz of the angle i cant really tell. It seems wet the coco pod but doesnt seem to be in water after lifting the lid took another picture.

1 Like

I think pod placement is fine (like Aang said it should not be touching the water). You will get a water change notification on day 8.

2 Likes

@Aang @SWSVIC also im starting to see in other peoples pictures that the clear plastic shield in front of the sensors is still installed on others grows i removed mine thinking it was shipping protection for the sensors will this be a problem?

2 Likes

Yes it will be a problem, that is your “root guard” that stops the roots from entangling with your water sensors which can cause catastrophic failure later on in your grow. Replace it later.

2 Likes

You’ll want that plastic shield to prevent the plant’s roots from getting tangled up with the sensors. You can contact Grobo support to have them ship you another one.

1 Like

Great, ill have to see if i find it or if the wife threw it out since i thought it wasnt needed otherwise ill contact grobo. Also just squeezed the pod gently and got some “drip”.

1 Like

Some drip is ok, what’s most important is that the top feels slightly moist to the touch not “wet”. Should you need to order a replacement root guard from Grobo, no worries, it will not come into play for some time. That said you want to get it installed sooner than later as it becomes more difficult to operate under the lid as the plant grows.

3 Likes

@SWSVIC my paranoia kicked in and i ordered right away and for 23 bucks total with shipping it’s not a kick to the nards lol and as far as the top of coco id say its moist not wet ill confirm when i get home from work.

2 Likes

@SWSVIC so i see what you mean top coco moist to the touch but if i put slight pressure on the top coco with my finger ill have some slight “seep” come up.

1 Like

You could push it up to make the top of the pod even with the lid of the reservoir, it appears to be sitting very slightly below. You’re probably ok as it sits but if you’d like to err on the side of safety you can adjust it. Be VERY careful not to break the pod.

1 Like