Daily Lighting Integral

Does anyone use DLI in planning their lighting strategies for tent grows to keep light as consistent as possible across the entire grow? I am not supplementing CO2 so I’m going to start with a DLI of 35 moles/photoperiod which gives me a target PPFD of 540 umol for veg on 18/6hrs and 810 umol for flower on 12/12hrs. I will be transitioning to flower slowly so I made a spreadsheet for each hour of reduction in the photoperiod as I transition to 12/12.
Does anyone run a higher PPFD than this for veg or flower without CO2 supplementation?

3 Likes

I run around 350 ppfd in veg (without Co2)… Plants don’t seem to happy when I push past that… This is my general go to

• Seedlings or clones which are newly sprouted or planted: 100 umols/ms PPFD +/- 20
• Rooted clones/young veg plants: 250 umols/ms PPFD +/- 50
• Vigorous veg plants: 350 umols/ms PPFD +/- 50
• Reproductive/flowering plants (not using supplemental CO2): 750 umols/ms PPFD +/- 100
• Reproductive/flowering plants (supplemental CO2 of 1200ppm+): 1000 umols/ms +/1 100

3 Likes

Thanks, I know other flowering plants like tomatoes enjoy a DLI of ~30 mol so that would put me closer to the range you suggested, but still a bit higher for veg. I’ve seen some suggest a DLI of 40 without supplementation which seems high. Waiting on my PAR meter to get delivered. Trying to approach things as scientifically as possible to identify areas of improvement with data so the pulse pro monitor will be a nice addition to my system.

4 Likes

I have the pulse pro it’s a really nice meter but the process to get your par readings is a but of work… I prefer using my MQ-500 quantum meter made by apogee… So much faster to get readings mind you this is all it can do… The Pulse Pro has alot of bonus to it.

Also some members here use this app for 5 or 10 bucks call Photone seems to work great for the price

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll get an Apogee eventually. The pulse does look like a pain compared to those. I want to get their epar meter because I have some far red spectrum running and I’m thinking of adding a Fluence anthospec for the purps.

1 Like

I just wish these toys where not so much $$$… lol I’m not sold on Fluence anthospec yet… I’m thinking about going back to 1000 watt HPS lighting… Like everything it has it’s con’s also but best quality buds I think come from HPS

Also you plants look really nice… You have a bit of tip burn (which isn’t really a big deal) most likely nutes or to much power on the lights… Eitherway nothing to complain about your off to a great start :+1:

1 Like

Lol, for sure too much $$. I’m definitely adding a UVspec for the end of flower. I don’t need two UV lights so I figured I would add a anthospec on the other side to see if it makes a difference on a good purple strain. It would be interesting to run the same cut with and without it on the same program to see the difference.

1 Like

I love experiments!! Some people claim UVspec really helps

1 Like