Counter top water distiller

It’s been close to 10 years since I was doing water sanitation testing, but from what I recall RO and distilled water are not much different. The only difference between RO and distilled is some RO systems re-add the minerals the RO membrane removed.

I was going to write a thesis, but I found a good article that explains it. @SWSVIC if your RO doesn’t re-add the minerals you’re basically distilling water that already had everything removed by the RO.

Little overkill.

1 Like

I’m sure it is overkill haha but I already have the equipment and years worth of replacement filters so I figured why the hell not haha. If it only makes cleaning/maintaining the distiller a bit easier that’s worth it to me haha. I believe I read somewhere that distilling does not remove chloramine from tap water but RO does. Thus I figured if I run the RO and then Distill I’d be in the best shape as far as water is concerned. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

True, but if you filter the distilled water through a carbon filter it will remove some of it.

If I had both RO and a distiller I’d stick to RO. Running a distiller can be expensive due to the electricity it requires. But that’s me.

4 Likes

Found your review! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

@swsvic how you liking this water distiller …I’m looking for one just wanted to know if your happy with this model or if I should upgrade to the higher model?

1 Like

Hey Manny, I really like it! Have been using it with minimal maintenance for nearly a year and I have no complaints. The compact size is perfect and cleaning the system is simple. I use the water for our saltwater aquarium as well so she’s working double time.

4 Likes

I know this is in older topic, but a friend just gave me this and supposed to distill a couple gallons a day if you need to. I only have 1 Grobo, so I bought 2 buckets and going to try this. I first filtered the water with the filter next to it. Not sure I need to, just did this time trying it.

3 Likes

This works well, just ran the first batch thru to clean it and make another gallon to use. It makes 1 gallon at a time which is good for just 1 Grobo. The only downside is it heats up the room a little. :grinning: I might move it down to the basement still debating.

Do you think I have to filter the water first or just start with tap? I did filter it first then distilled it only not sure it matters.

1 Like