Broken Air Pump

My air pump receives power and vibrates, but air doesn’t flow through the tube and to the reservoir. I’ve been using a separate pump, but decided to attempt to figure out why the pump hasn’t been pulling in any air. I took off the lid and found a tear in this rubber piece:

Anyone know what it is and if it’s the reason the pump isn’t working?

6 Likes

Totally lazy of me to not just search for the thread and find a link, but the CEO started a thread asking who all had air pump issues. I think they found the issue in them and were offering replacements even outside of warranty.

4 Likes

Vibrate is an understatement haha, I cut and capped the cord in mine and went with an external. Cut the noise level down to almost nothing.

Hydrofarm Active Aqua Air Pump, 2… Amazon.com: Hydrofarm AAPA7.8L Active Aqua, 2 Outlets, 3W, 7.8 L/min Air Pump, Silver: Industrial & Scientific

4 Likes

That’s the one I have on my stirponic system

3 Likes

Lol yeah, I remember reading those posts. I’m more curious about what went wrong rather than wanting to replace it since I already have another pump installed.

1 Like

that air pump is soooooo loud, I might have to swap to an external one. I wish I’d seen this before I just started my next grow. If that pump was off and sitting in the floor outside of unit I’d still have way less noise.

1 Like

Yeah, it can be annoying. I think the newer ones are supposed to be quieter. You can remove the door and unscrew it to place it outside the Grobo, or you can disconnect it from the computer board on the side.

If you don’t wanna wait til your grow is over, you can just snip & cap the power cord like @SWSVIC did! (Only when you have your replacement pump ready tho)

6 Likes

Impressive root causing the issue !

3 Likes

@Hellyesshedid,

(Exactly what I would call it, just a [RubberPiece]): (Great reason for it not functioning properly): (Maybe the assembly was incorrect and the pressure blue the [RubberPiece] out):

Search Results

Web results

[

Air pump - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Air_pump
](Air pump - Wikipedia)

A simple reciprocating pump is commonly made up of a cylinder with an inlet, an outlet, and a piston within. The inlet and the outlet are used to direct the flow of air , while the piston is used to generate the flow of air .

--

image vegetato Champion :brain:

• (YouHaveTheBrains): :brain:

--

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart: :innocent:

2 Likes

that part that ripped is called a diaphragm (cup style), you might be able to find a replacement fairly cheap (a dollar or few) but I’m guessing you’re not planning to fix it :slight_smile:

@Nathan have you checked the wires coming from your pump to see if that’s the source of the noise? Mine was super loud when I first got it but it was because of a wire - it was tapping against the back of the case. I just moved the wire and the noise stopped, a few people have had similar success with that (worth asking/trying).

3 Likes

I stuck a sharpie lid under mine and seemed to take away the vibration

5 Likes

Could you show me how you connected this if possible @SWSVIC

Waycreat 2-Way Aquarium Air Flow… Amazon.com : Waycreat 2-Way Aquarium Air Flow Control Lever Valve Distributor Accessories Set with Check Valve, T & Straight Connector and Suction Cups : Pet Supplies

Pawfly7-13 Feet Airline Tubing Standard Aquarium Air Pump Accessories with Air Stones, Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors Amazon.com : Pawfly 7 Feet Airline Tubing Standard Aquarium Air Pump Accessories with Air Stones, Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors : Pet Supplies

Simple my man, used a splitter valve in reverse (could also just use a simple “T” fitting as well) combine the 2 nozzles and then just plug into Grobo’s air pump line and you’re good to go.

5 Likes

Same thing just happend to mine. Time for external.

1 Like