Bonsai Question

Hi There,

I have a question about bonsai - not too sure if this is the right place to post it, but here it goes anyways: I’ve had quite a few junipers. They all seem to go the same way too; first it starts with the bark drying out, then the voluptuously green needles start to change to yellow, and eventually a morose, hollow brown. And then, death. Most of these plants have died within 2 months of my purchase. I follow the instructions for the nutrients that are required of it, expose it to full sun on days that I can, and give it water only when it needs it (not to stress it out too much). Is there something obvious I’m missing?

Thanks for your responses in advanced; all help is appreciated.

Hi Dylan,

Welcome to All Growers!

Great question, Bonsai sure are cool. Here are a couple of my observations:

Juniper Bonsai are really an outdoor tree. Growing them indoors is quite a challenge.

• Bonsai need intense light that isn’t available in your home. Getting them into the sun is good, but a dedicated light indoors is prefered to a window spot.

• Bonsai need higher humidity than your home. Your heat & AC dry out the air, open a window, spray your tree twice daily or use a humidity tray filled with water.

• Don’t water on a schedule, water only when the soil is dry an inch deep.

Here is a more detailed guide on troubleshooting juniper bonsai…How To Care For A Sick Or Dying Juniper Bonsai Tree | Bonsai Tree Gardener

Good luck!

Stephen

:green_thumb: