Another Nutrient question and help I spilled water and has an issue!

With so many nutrient questions flying around, there’s been one hovering on the back of my mind.

I was just reading @vegetato‘s detailed breakdown here and that sparked it, though it’s been there, like I said. Anyway, I didn’t want to hijack that post with another question… who me? :joy:

I often hear “do a drain/fill” to push nutes into reservoir. “Every time you drain/fill, grobo automatically dispenses “

So, with that in mind, :thinking::thinking::thinking:, and considering what @Dani told me about it in email here, `Is it too early for 3, 4, and 5 nutes to be dispensed?
Nope, the dispensing of nutrients at this time is completely normal. It dispenses a small amount of bottles 3, 4, and 5 to prime the tubing, ensure the pH and EC probes can register nutrients, and - if at this time your plant has a tap root poking out - expedite its growth so your plant is set up for success a bit quicker. This has been confirmed by our Hardware department, so, nothing to fret about there.

Is it too early for bottles 1 and 2 to be dispensed?
No, the dispensing of bottles 1 and 2 will happen throughout the grow in response to the pH of your reservoir. Bottle 1 brings the pH up, and bottle 2 brings the pH down.
`
And I realize her response is timing appropriate as well but…

Will the grobo always be trying to slurp out of tubes meant for grobo nutes after every fill regardless of what’s in your water? For instance, I have to assume my ph must be okay because grobo takes so many ml of bottle 2 and then says oh dip, and takes the same ml from bottle 1, don’t they cancel each other out?
And so would you ever be over feeding if you’re giving nutes and grobo’s automatically pushing them as well?

Okay also bigger way more important question!

I’ve been having trouble getting rh right, had glasses of water inside. Knocked one over. :astonished:
Floor and wood base of grobo got wet. Grobo made noise, think some went in res. Started draining a little until no noise. No fill needed. This was before midnight.

I noticed sometime after midnight the light was still on inside Grobo. Then after turning off the TV I noticed I didn’t hear bubbles! :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: Looked, no bubbles. Oh shit.

So hubby says, go get extra air stone? (I bought on Amazon as advised!!) And I’m thinking :thinking: shoot who knows, probably need to drain and remove reservoir and see what electrical parts I got wet and get real friendly with grobo and support is offline for the weekend, oh won’t this be fun!

Anyway, drained it, and wouldn’t you know it, the light went off and the air stone started bubbling!! :clap::clap::star_struck::star_struck:

I filled with same water I took out (haven’t been grocery shopping this week yet), so it has nutes in it. Took tubes out of bottles and put them in glass of water and waited. Heard 2 drink, fell asleep with grobo door open!:open_mouth::astonished:

Between this, that, and the other, it’s taken me 3 hours to get this post written and by now my rh inside with door shut is 51% , much improved from 34 or 35!

Alright so, how much damage have I done? To be more specific in case anyone asks, the spill was @ 1 c h2o occurring at back of reservoir lid while lid was on. (I tried to peek for a root like a dummy without moving the glass thinking I’m slick) but moisture could be felt around entire base.

Angie

2 Likes

Will the grobo always be trying to slurp out of tubes meant for grobo nutes after every fill regardless of what’s in your water? For instance, I have to assume my ph must be okay because grobo takes so many ml of bottle 2 and then says oh dip, and takes the same ml from bottle 1, don’t they cancel each other out?
And so would you ever be over feeding if you’re giving nutes and grobo’s automatically pushing them as well?

I think that in theory if you added “X” amount of pH up (#1 bottle) and “X” amount of pH down (#2 bottle) they would cancel each other out I would think… but I think that the Grobo simply tries to do it’s best to get your pH within an acceptable range. I’d say your water is pretty decent if it’s not using a lot of either… if you’re using distilled water it shouldn’t take a whole lot to correct it.

In my experience, which I just checked a minute ago, my #1 and #2 bottles from start of grow until now ALMOST have the same amount gone but not exactly the same. So, it’s used a combination of both but I can’t imagine it cancels itself out completely… it might shoot a little too high at first and have to correct itself to get the right range of pH

As far as the second question, yes if you use extra nutrients there is such thing as nutrient burn or over-use of nutrients and it typically will start showing at the leaves first in various color changes and discolorations. There is a specific order to mix nutrients in your water, cuz Grobo will also dispense nutrients as well…unless you unhook the cables and go rogue and decide to use your own nutrients as some users have done on this forum.

2 Likes

I have had my Grobo spill out of reservoir once or twice by accident basically I had Grobo on small stand with wheels got moved and swayed and water spilled out of reservoir but nothing got damaged just water inside bottom I cleaned up and dryer up as much as possible. But Grobo didn’t miss a beat. Hopefully all is well with your Grobo now. :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

Yes, fingers crossed for sure!!! I have some specs (thanks hardware) for a stand that I want hubby to build for me to help with back/bending over- I imagine that would also help with little accidents like this!

2 Likes