7th grow - King Tut - HARVESTED

Great intel @vegetato thanks! How far into flower do you tend to defoliate? I have read many articles/posts stating that you should keep pruning to a minimum (or try to completely avoid it) after 2-3 weeks in flower.

2 Likes

I try to avoid any heavy defoliation at all once it’s in flower. I will take a few leaves here and there every few days or so to thin it out as needed though. Really depends on how it’s growing (or not) and if any are getting in the way or getting too massive.

5 Likes

DAY 68: Flower (Day 9/44)

This one also should’ve been flipped a bit sooner. Super-cropped most of the branches and removed a few others and she hasn’t skipped a beat. This was behind my other grow originally but now she’s ahead!

4 Likes

Oh yeah lol. Lots more super cropping in your future I believe

2 Likes

DAY 75: Flower (Day 16 /44)

This one is drinking a lot of the water, and I’ve been late to refill it for her recently. A bit of spotting on some leaves due to that but she’s still budding nicely.

I started using Big Bud with these last two drain/fills and will be using it for another week.

8 Likes

How many top offs is she requiring per week? I’m at 2 a week and feel like I may need to increase to 3. Takes a half gallon each time I top and it is typically short about 3/4 gallon when I perform my water change.

1 Like

Is this an auto ?? Or regular fem ?? Looking really really good .

1 Like

@SWSVIC I was doing 1 per week but need to increase that to 2-3 now.

@Ray2nasty this one is a regular fem.

4 Likes

DAY 89: Flower (Day 30 /44)

The browning continued for a while longer and took quite a few leaves with it. Have a feeling it was from the way I mixed the big bud, this one got the 2nd half of the mixture and I’m thinking that may have inadvertently had a higher concentration than the other one received. She also went thirsty for a little while during which didn’t help either.

The buds are stacking up, though, and almost every leaf is growing trichomes and becoming super-resinous. I wouldn’t be sad to use this entire plant for extracts if the browning doesn’t cease and that becomes necessary. :lab_coat: :oil_drum:

She also needed a trim and will be extended until ready.

Before trim:

After trim:

11 Likes

DAY 98: Flower (Day 39 /44)

The browning of the upper leaves has stopped but it came pretty close to taking some buds with it. In some of the pics you can see just how close it came on the worst-looking ones; there’s still a wee bit of green left on the inside of some of the leaves just beyond the buds.

This one is going into flush tomorrow, a few days early. I would’ve started that with the last water change but noticed that the lockout seemed to be fixed and the browning of the leaves had slowed nearly to a stop.

The majority of this plant is intended to be used to make some wax with, as I’ve had an itch for some good king tut shatter or crumble for quite some time now. Judging by the smell of this girl that itch is going to be scratched!

8 Likes

Man these two did not go easy on you! Expert saves my friend!

1 Like

These are actually best suited for outdoor grows but I’m intent to try to grow them in the grobo. I think by cutting veg a bit short they’d fit much better. Training them a a bit more would’ve also been an improvement.

I also opted for big bud powder instead of liquid, knowing there would be some trial/error to get it right. The biggest takeaway so far from that is that if doing such it’s important to mix the powder in warm water separately first to get it fully dissolved into the solution before mixing it into cooler water. This wasn’t done the first time and is what I believe to be the cause of the lockout – the 2nd unit got most of the big bud on the first dosing instead of a 50/50 split between them.

4 Likes

I’m so torn on whether or not to continue with Big Bud (liquid). I introduced it last week, I’ve noticed the very slightest browning of some leaf tips. I assume it’s a light burn which I’m kind of OK with being as my goal is to push (but not exceed) limits.

1 Like

You flipped to transition pretty early (no extending correct?)

1 Like

I’d say to just keep it at that strength if it’s not much burning, or tone it down a bit like 1/8th instead of 1/4.

I’ve noticed that any additive in grobo is best if used very slightly, I believe due to the small size of the reservoir. The guidelines on the bottles are intended for grows of various sizes (small to large), though ours is on the lower end of the spectrum (or past the low point that the generic instructions cover; I’d say “tiny” as opposed to “small”) so that has to be accounted for by further scaling down that dosing recommendation a bit more.

Edit: I wouldn’t apply that logic to biological additives such as hydroguard, though, as that’s more of a numbers game and in some cases we want there to be enough of a population to overtake the bad bacteria which sometimes requires going above what the bottle says.

4 Likes

I extended both of these by a week if I recall correctly, and during that week they grew 2x as far as I expected. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll continue to monitor, water change is Tuesday. If she’s looking 100% I’ll keep it at 1/4. If I notice any distress/lock-out I’ll cut it down or drop it completely.

2 Likes

It’s awesome that you have two Grobos! Looks like you ran into a few issues with both grows but you’re going to harvest them soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What was the reason for the lockout? @vegetato

Gave her way too strong of a dose of PK booster (big bud) when it was introduced. It was due to a mixing error, the 2nd half of the mixture was much more concentrated than expected (I made enough for two and split it in half, this one got the bottom half). It was from not mixing the powder warm I believe. Since I fixed that mistake it rebounded pretty quick but as you can see a lot of damage was done to a lot of sugar leaves. Thankfully the buds were spared, been monitoring those closely for moisture/issues and so far so good (knock on wood!).

3 Likes