#2nd Grow Moby Dick by Dinafem

I’m all set up! Thanks again! :facepunch:

10 Likes

Smart…!

I haven’t had to top off yet but now I know how to do it!

Also, didn’t know that the magnet came off either. Didn’t really look too deep into it though, only did my first fill a couple days ago. Good to know.

6 Likes

@SWSVIC great idea! :+1:t2: Just curious how much water is your Grobo allowing u to fill. My Grobo is stopping around 2 gallons.

1 Like

Yea, Im almost positive it will drink more than a gallon while Im gone. I tried finding a bigger container but couldn’t find anything else that I had on hand that would fit in the grobo. But regardless, I’d much rather be a gallon low vs being a couple gallons low. Ill probably look for a tall, sleek container that holds more than a gallon for next time I go out of town.

3 Likes

This particular mod is only for topping off obviously not for water change as there is no where to drain (I would love to see grobo switch to external plumbing in the future). That said, to answer your question, mine typically fills about 2.3-2.5 Gal. Keep in mind I have a chiller system with plumbing. On my daily top offs she takes about an 1/8-1/4 gal.

3 Likes

Im hoping my top offs are similar. Ive only had one other grow in the grobo and at this stage. It did take over half a gallon every two days but that plan was a beast and grew like a monster! This one has been a MUCH slower grow so it probably won’t take as much water.

I did run into an issue yesterday when I tried to top it off. Not sure if there is anything I can do but it won’t let me fill. It seems to be stuck in “drain mode”. I sent in a ticket yesterday but I know support isn’t available everyday and didn’t know how the holiday weekend would affect that. The good news is I dont believe it actually has drained any water, its just stuck. Here is the message I’m getting when I try to fill. Does anyone know if there is a way for me to try to fix it remotely?

Any idea on what would happen if your plant does take more than a gallon, and the Grobo tries to fill in a dry container? Will it automatically sense the lack of water and turn off by itself or would you have to make a judgement call on it taking “too long” to fill, and cancel the fill yourself?

1 Like

Well shit… :man_facepalming:t2: What a fun unexpected inconvenience! I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but is there anyone that could go to your place and power cycle the Grobo?

1 Like

If it does require more than a gallon, it will suck air until I pause the fill… at least that’s what happened to me the time I hit fill and left the room for a minute. When I came back the bucket was empty and it was just sucking air. I paused it, ran to the store to get more water, and then continued the fill later that day.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not… I was hoping support could possibly power cycle or reset it from there side bc I dont have anyone that can do it for me this weekend :sleepy:

Unfortunately I do not believe that is a possibility as they often instruct growers to power cycle their units manually during support situations.

2 Likes

Yea… thats what I’m afraid of

1 Like

I went with a smart power socket or smart power strip. This will allow you to remotely power cycle your equipment. Saved me a few times.

When I did a remote top off it needed more than 1 gallon, got stuck in fill mode. Couldn’t get it out. had to remotely power cycle the unit and then everything was good.

I like SmartRUI powerstrip. Or GoSund smart adapters. $20-25 range.

5 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely be ordering a smart strip after this… Of course this would happen for the 1st time when Im not there :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Very “smart“

1 Like

And just like that, plant :seedling: sitting became a new career in 2020.

6 Likes

Your door may need to be open in order for it to fill. :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Interesting point. @miami5th did your door remain open while you were away conducting remote top offs?

no the door was kept closed and the unit performed the fill function just fine. I didn’t have enough water for her to take up so she kept trying to pump. Had to power cycle her to get her to return to regular grow mode. All was well afterwards.

6 Likes

Understood, that makes sense. Perhaps next time add a second camera focused on the jug to view that water level.

2 Likes