#2nd Grow Moby Dick by Dinafem

Hopefully the new stuff come in good, I would extend your veg another week or two for recovery time. I wonder if that’s how the leaves are going to look for this strain. So weird lol. Looks like she’s growing alright :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hey all! Here are some updated photos after my drain/fill and trim. Today is the last day of late veg so the transition stage is set to start. I’ve extended late veg once already, but should I extend it another week? Plant is looking a lot healthier now that it has been pest free for about 12 days.

3 Likes

Yes extend for sure. I’m not saying to reach the second fan for this one specifically but I would extend a week and see where she gets. You may find that you could use another after that. Just with all the went through I would do at least one and then go from there :+1:. She’s looking a lot better!

3 Likes

Maybe even three weeks.

5 Likes

Hey everyone! I just wanted to provide an update. This plant is growing so slow! But I’m being patient with it. I’m still in early veg as you can see by the pics. A couple days ago I started using the drying racks to spread the plant out a bit. I was training both sides at the same time and I mustve had them pulled too tight bc I noticed today that my stem starting splitting. I pulled the drying racks out. I took a couple close ups of where the stem split. Should I just leave it or should I wrap some string around it to bring it back together?

1 Like

Depends on how long its been like that! Is the place between the stems dried out?
If not squeeze them back together and tape it.

Idea 3: Bend Stems the Right Way

Whenever bending stems out of the way you want to try to bend only the flexible parts of the stem, which are usually located near the ends. Avoid bending any part that has already become stiff or woody, as these tend to snap.

Bending technique – try to bend only the flexible parts of stems, which are located near the tips

When bending a marijuana stem, try to bend where it is flexible, located near the tips of the stems

If for whatever you have to bend a stem that’s already become woody, you need to take a few extra precautions to prevent the skin of the stem from splitting.

How to prevent the skin from splitting: What you need to do is take the part of the stem you want to bend between your fingers. Squeeze it tight, and then slowly and gently wiggle it around, squishing the stem as hard as you can while you’re wiggling. The stem will start to become more pliable as the inside gets kind of crushed. You’re basically “crunching” up the inside of the stem without breaking the skin so it doesn’t offer as much resistance. Once the stem actually feels flexible, that’s when you try to bend it. Don’t try to bend it if it still feels stiff! Some people call this "supercropping" but basically it’s just a way to bend a stiff stem.

To bend a really stiff stem: Pinch the stem tightly between your fingers(not nails), then squeeze firmly while wiggling the stem gently back and forth where you want it to bend. Continue until you feel/hear crunching from the inside of the stem (may take several seconds of wiggling) and the stem gets flexible. At that point slowly bend the stem at the new joint you’ve made, and secure in place.

To bend a really stiff stem, pinch tightly, wiggle gently until you feel/hear crunching, then slowly bend and secure.

Recovering from bending/supercropping gone wrong: If you do accidentally snap a stem and break the skin while trying to bend it over, never fear! Vegetative plants can recover from a lot and if you quickly wrap up the injury with duct tape or electrical tape, like a “cast,” your cannabis plant will actually be able to repair the broken stem. After a week or two it will form a “knuckle” at the place that was injured, and you’ll be able to remove the tape. Good as new!

If you break the skin of a stem, just tape it up like a cast and the plant will heal itself!

Use duct tape or electrical tape as a "cast" for broken stems. They will heal back together as long as everything is held in place, just like a broken bone!

6 Likes

Thank you!! This is the type of detailed info I was trying to find. I’m guessing it happened two days ago. It’s not completely dried out so I will try the tape. Thanks again!

1 Like

Anytime! Keep us posted! :eyes::seedling:

2 Likes

Well… we are still growing. I cant believe how slow this grow is. I’m on day 64 of late veg (day 88 total) and I’m just below the 2nd fan still as you can see. The smell is already pretty dank but obviously I’m not there yet. My late veg was going to transition after today so I extended one more week. The roots look very healthy and their is a real solid root base. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated but otherwise I’m just patiently waiting for this to grow a little more

2 Likes

Awesome to know! Thanks!

3 Likes

Am I ready for transition stage yet? #PleaseSayYes lol

7 Likes

If the plant were mine I would say HELL yes. Regardless of the slow growth and whether or not that will continue during your stretch period. My vote would be move on, complete this grow, enjoy the yield you end up with, and move on to the next.

6 Likes

After reviewing what this plant has been incredible in bringing her back to health and being patient while she grows. Where many (including myself) would have terminated the grow, you stuck with it and healed a very sick plant. You should be proud.

6 Likes

Thanks man! A week ago I ran into another issue with the plant too. The aerator quit working. And it probably was out for a week. The water had a film on it. Luckily I had a backup on deck already and the new one is much better. I’m starting to think it wasn’t working well from the beginning of the grow. So I’m sure that was a contributor too.

4 Likes

Iron-Plant!!! Way to go man, you’ll be a pro at dealing with deficiencies/infestation after 1 grow! Next go around, you’ll be uber prepared.

4 Likes

Wow I just read this entire thread!! Uhh I can’t believe this plant came back :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3: Good luck with flowering :+1:t2:

9 Likes

Just like human beings they too mend limbs.
Simply wonderful!

3 Likes

Happy Friday! I’m on day 7 of flowering. I originally wasn’t going to add any extra nutrients to any of my grows until I had a few grows under my belt, but I decided to add some to this one since its been such an experiment already. So I added some Big Bud liquid nutrients today. I only did half strength based on directions but Im excited to see what happens. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know. Thanks so much!

4 Likes

Hey @Chad_Johnson happy Friday to you too my man. Can you confirm that those mites aren’t sneaking around your plant again? Judging by the look of the leaves I fear they may be back. @vegetato can you weigh in on this?

4 Likes

That’s a good start – check for the bugs again. It does look like it’s a little deficient, might just need more cal/mag/iron/something.

Do you happen to have Revive on hand?

6 Likes