1st time grow - water level questions

Hello all,

I have a Grobo Gen 2 and just planted my first seed. Its in day 9 of germination and has a couple set of leaves. My Grobo came with the Peat Pod, Holder and stem. When i first started i got the pod wet and planted the seed. However i noticed after filling, the water levels seemed low and the water was not touching the white stem. Maybe it wasn’t suppose to, but I topped it off with water until it was just touching. I am not sure if I was suppose to do that based on what I have been reading but if not… Now that I have drained for the first time and filled up for the second time, is it ok if the water level isn’t remotely close to that stem? The plant has 1 to 2 roots just starting to appear at the bottom of the pod. I assume the roots will grow towards the water? Help me out here, I don’t want to go drowning my first plant. Other than that everything seems to be good. The fan is turn off and boy is that fan IMO a POS. Loud like a harrier jet, I bought the AC Infinity fans cause they are quieter… but I haven’t turn any fans on yet cause I read in here that they are normally off during germination.

4 Likes

In germ and early veg, water level should be even with the top water sensor. The wick doesn’t need to touch the water, bubbles popping will splash water to keep it wet.

2 Likes

Same here, I use this and put a little on a few times a day. My first died as it dried out.

2 Likes

Awesome thank both of you

3 Likes

Don’t wet your pod manually! I’ve watched many a user (myself included) do this and then lose a plant from dampening off. If your roots are extended from the bottom of the pod, you’re good.

2 Likes

I have adjusted the stone to be more in the middle of the tank so that any bubbles can hit the stem. They weren’t before based on its location.

4 Likes

Perfect. From what you wrote, you’re in good shape.

2 Likes

I have lost a seed already as it didn’t keep wet. The Grobo 2 is a “tiny bit” low in the water levels if you ask me. Most other issues were fixed, just “a little” low still. :grinning: Others have commented too before.

1 Like