What I've been using instead of Hydroguard and why, plus some ranting

You’ll get sick of that right quick!!! I tried it and you get more res temp variation than it’s worth. I’d either get a chiller, or at least try running a fan at the back with the little square hatch open. Seriously :joy::joy::joy::+1::v:

2 Likes

@Cowboymi what helped in my case was to improve the AC in the room. When the room is kept around 21-23°C (and the air from AC is blowing directly toward rear of grobo) it seems to keep things in check.

I’d also recommend to double-check the temperature of the environment inside vs outside the grobo (where it is currently located). What are the internal temps of your unit inside, above the water - and behind it? What I did to get these was just hang a digital thermometer for 20-30 mins in each area at warmest points in day to get an idea.

On top of that, if you live in area with wild temp/RH fluctuations it becomes important to re-evaluate this every so often, to ensure it’s still as it was. For me, winter has been much easier to control temps than summer will be but for some that could be the opposite.

Like @Osage said – try opening the trap door at rear of unit and blowing some air through there, that’s one thing that reduced temps by a degree or few for me as well. Buying a chiller is also an option – the reason I went with AC instead (cool whole room instead of just reservoir) is because I have other grows in the same room that also benefit from it.

3 Likes

Also - to anyone else finding or digging up this thread - using regular bleach (for more than just a quick cleaning) is a bad idea!

After much reading and testing I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s a fine line between acceptable and toxic levels of chlorine for the plant itself - it is very hard to get it right all the time. There are other reasons such as chemical reactions (between it and things like the pH down) to steer clear of it as well, as gasses can be produced that are toxic to humans. This incompatibility is actually mentioned on one of the grobo bottles in fine print on the rear label.

See this post for pics of the products I achieved better results with: Doing my diligence - #11 by vegetato - Welcome - AllGrowers Forum | Hydroponics, Harvesting, Cannabis, and more

• If chlorine is really desirable to use, there are other products such as Dutch Master Zone which contain it for use in hydroponics, but that still requires checking makeup of everything else going into the res for potential reaction/incompatibility.
  • TLDR; Using a combination of things such as hydroguard, recharge (or equivalent), great white, voodoo juice, or sensizyme is a much better idea!
8 Likes

Absolutely correct!! Was waiting for that, glad it was you tato :+1::v:

2 Likes

Damn booyyy couldn’t have said it better! You come a long way my friend!!! Keep on keeping on​:+1::v::moneybag::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Hey @vegetato,

I love your scientific approach and the sharing. Thanks again!

Stephen

3 Likes

I’m going through the SAME thing. I discovered pool shock a week ago, and still trying to get her back to “normal”. I wish I saw this post earlier. I lost a chunk of my own hair due to stress over this plant.

1 Like

I’m about to try using a product called API Stress Zyme with my next grow to see how that fares.

It’s made for aquariums and uses heterotrophic bacteria similar to what hydroguard does.

I haven’t been able to locate any details on exactly which genus/species/strain are in the Stress Zyme product but have read about others using it with success in hydroponic and aquaponic environments.

2 Likes

I am not sure, I must be missing something? Hydroguard works well and I only pay $30 2x a year for it. How much are you actually saving to make all this worth it?

The first time I bought hydroguard it was $45 per quart, lately it’s been >$100 (in Canada). Even the local shop that had it a bit less expensive wants $90/bottle+taxes now.

With 3 concurrent grows going the bottle doesn’t last as long either.

3 Likes

Wow, I paid $30 USD on Amazon just recently.

2 Likes

I paid that much @vegetato and I am sure I kept the photos. Worst box damage ever. No hydroguard inside, just a completely soaked box delivered to my house…and smashed completely flat. Why even deliver it? Like seriously

2 Likes