Water Temperature

I made my pump external but thanks for the info. I’ll shut them off when drain and fill. Also how did u get it so ur roots aren’t sucked down the inlet? I can deal with it for now since roots aren’t too large but I feel it’s going to clog. @Osage or any champ @Azuri

I just clean out the pumps filter. No inlet on mine for roots to clog. It’s like a fine plastic gate on the outside, with a kind of foam filter. No problem yet :+1::v:. How is your pump external? In-line as opposed to submerged? I’m sure that’s it, I’d love to see a pic.

2 Likes

I’m using original equipment and pump. I’ve not done any hardware modifications to my Grobo. My internal pump has never clogged or failed as of yet so no need for external one. I don’t have a chiller either I’ve been doing my grows in the basement,

2 Likes

@Osage yes, in-line. I’ll try to get a good photo of roots pulling down chiller inlet

6 Likes

Id like to know who uses chillers and who doesn’t but more important what state/city you live in. Is anyone in Michigan finding a use for chillers?

I live in California it’s always the 7th layer of hell hott here. Without the chiller water is 90 degrees daily.

3 Likes

That diff explains the use for your chiller, I don’t think I would ever get enough use out of a purchase living in Michigan.

I’m in ct and have no a/c in my 1860s house. Could probably have dealt without chiller with grobo in basement but I’d rather run the right temp than close enough.

2 Likes

Funny enough, I live in Alaska. But have no basement, and carpet all downstairs. So only real option I had was the half bath upstairs. You wouldn’t think it gets hot here, but it gets up to 85•F at times and I ran into the res temp problem. Took some research, and when I found out it was my water temp being off which was causing root rot, I tried the frozen bottles of water trick, but then I got all these wild swings in temp. Had to bite the bullet. Not worried though, if I stop using grobo I’ll just use it for the res for my autopot :+1::v::joy:

2 Likes

Think I may have fixed my issue with roots in inlet for chiller. I had taken out the clear plastic float guard and cut small portion on bottom left to allow inlet tube to sit in the guard. Seems to work.

2 Likes

I like the way your grobo is elevated. I’m getting to old to be wallowing around on the floor :laughing:

3 Likes

trying to figure out a pull tab for bottom too. may lower it a foot soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, but heat rises, for one, and his pump needs to circulate that water from way up to way down back to way up again. I do believe he will need a new pump earlier than he might anticipate. But it does look like a basement area. I’d just sit her on the ground but that’s just me. You can always change. I’d experiment with it by testing the ground temp and the temp at units lowest level. This will confirm it for you :+1::v:ANd if that extra freezer is running, and working you may get some weird heat/cold issues. I’d at least move it away from that a bit. For me it would just depend on if you feel cool or heat next to that thing. :+1::v:

2 Likes

freezer has been off, used it for drain and fill :rofl: :cold_face: @Osage ill make sure to note that temp before lowering it foot. it was easier to set up chiller being higher off ground.

2 Likes

Yep, but that pump is small and if you make it work too hard it will die. Just make sure you check her at least two times a day. I do more, during veg, but I’m a bit neurotic :joy:

1 Like

I’m in Ontario so not too far and I don’t need it either. I’ve had mine in my living room for almost a year no and no issues with heat. Mind you I have the AC on in the house but other than that I’m good

6 Likes

@Russel_Richardson
Perfect thanks! That’s exactly where I was planning to put mine too, I always keep a cool house!

2 Likes

Im running my chiller through a splitter I have on my pump. It does 800 gal per hour so I figure it would work

4 Likes

This is embarrassing. I’m so technically challenged. Hence why I purchased an automated grow box and didn’t build a grow tent…!

I ordered the same, with 1/2 ID tubing.
The chiller came with adapters that the 1/2 tubing will fit on.
The pump came with only one 1/2 adapter.
How did you handle in/out of the pump with your 1/2 tubing?

Pics?
Thank you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to Home Depot and got a larger hose to fit fittings for pump. I had same issue u have the clear hose is from hd make sure to grab larger hose clamps that fit.

6 Likes