Topping autos

Thank you man !! I’ll do so right now . I have her in transition but ill go straight into flowe :wink: ill keep you posted , Master sensi :slight_smile:

1 Like

whats the difference in flower ??? I thought they flowered no matter what , does the light change ?

I know for regular feminized is 18/6 then 12/12 is it the same for autos ?

That should help give it better lights for growing buds.

Not sure you would’ve had much of a different result if you flipped sooner, but if you let transition run its phase that could’ve reduced yield a bit more.

RE: what’s the difference?

• From what I’ve gathered there is a slight change to the light spectrum. In transition it maintains some blue while (possibly also) introducing some red, but in flower it drops the blue to minimal with a focus on red.
1 Like

Autos can stay in 18/6 the whole time. Some people run them 24/0 the whole time. Haven’t seen much info at all about what exactly happens otherwise.

That said, I have wanted to experiment by running an auto in a photo recipe to see if the extended nights help the buds grow more. Have read that the energy is collected during the day and that the buds actually grow at night. Autoflower genetics should promote bud growth regardless of light, but I’m still curious.

Edit: to add to this, when I grew an auto outdoors, toward the end of season, she grew buds far larger than I’ve seen come from any grobo pics yet and that one was slightly neglected and had root issues (in a pail with no drainage, using misc soil from the yard). After seeing that vs my grobo grows is where I wonder if the longer nights help at all.

1 Like

Perfect just the information I needed , if you have any tips for me or anything let me know , I got the femenizsed seeds down just new to the autos .

I agree , you should see if they would make a recipe for it and give it a rip , I’d love to see you do it ! I have like j said 6 more of these i wont be topping that’s for sure learned my lesson the first time , i am scared to even fim … of a matter of fact I won’t be filming even next time … only on my fem

My educated guess is that a lot of the recipes are nearly identical, and mostly just account for timing as opposed to tweaks to the nutes/spectrum.

I’d expect that they might tweak the recipes once enough data is gathered (from support requests and in-house testing), i.e. picky strains/genetics from certain breeders; some might require less or more of certain bottles at times. For most recipes I expect it’s just the generic recipe modified for timing based on the breeders’ recommendation (how many weeks in flower).

The generic recipes play a good fail-safe role in this case – if in doubt we can just use one of those regardless of which seed we have. That’s how I plan to test that out.

PS you can stop a grow and restart a grow with a different recipe then skip ahead to the right phase at any time. Doing that just messes with the “visible history” of your grow in the UI, in that your stage table (the # days per stage thing you posted earlier) won’t show the proper germ/early+late veg/transition numbers after switching recipes.

2 Likes

So when is an auto in passed transition, this is for my future reference, I just want to know so I can switch her into flower on time ! Without reducing yeild as you said .

As soon as those buds start to form and look like more than just a couple hairs and a calyx, probably about two to three weeks ago in this/your case.

When you see the bigger “balls of hairs” come out that’s a good time to flip to flower, like this:

2 Likes

I did notice that , im glad I have my mind at ease now ! Thank you so much ,

2 Likes

@vegetato

3 Likes

My ph probe is bad I just ordered a new one , thank God she held through she has 30 more days in flower for those buds to get thicker , ive been doing distilled water and ph myself , so by far the dankest buds I’ve ever seen in person even though purp catches my eyes everytime ! @vegetato any suggestions

1 Like

Not sure I have any suggestions at this point, just keep on keeping her alive as you’ve been doing.

She looks as happy as she can be though I’m curious how she stayed so tiny; maybe a bit too much trimming stunted her main growth?

1 Like

That topping just never grew back and she stayed that size sadly :frowning: I learned my lesson on the trimming from the last grow … but once I topped her she just stopped growing all together , i looked at one of youre auto grows and you cut the stem to top so i did the same instead of just cutting half the leafs growth , and she just never came back …

1 Like

@vegetato

Before topping maybe make sure she’s growing fast already and that no other signs of issues are visible. If there’s browning of leaves or spots anything (that isn’t already fixed/rebounding) I think that would be a bad time to top an auto.

By the way, which seeds were these from? Genetics are likely also playing a part in determining the plants’ behavior/resilience. Some breeds take better to stress than others, you might find better luck picking one from a breeder that others’ have successfully topped. This is one resource I used to find the ones I picked: Search cannabis grow journals - GrowDiaries

3 Likes

This is the phonix auto , its amnesia haze ! She also was growing strong before … after that my ph probe went out and she just went down hill . And awesome ill make sure to check it out , im not finished with this strain , i have about 5 more seeds from them … so I have 5 more to go … i dont think ill be topping or training next go round

2 Likes

I’ve been aggressively trimming my auto and she is holding up well. She does take 2-3 weeks to recover each time though. She survived all the big trims thus far. Less accepting of trimming than my photo

1 Like