Hydroguard expert question

Hi all,

maybe someone who is knowledgable on Hydroguard and the bacteria strains could have a look at this stuff?
Since Hydroguard is not available I found this as a potential substitute to tackle the water temp issue. But I am not 100% its a legit replacement.

cheers

3 Likes

Looks good, possibly stronger too.

Is 25 Mrd. Sporen/ml translated as millions or billions?

3 Likes

Its 25 billion per ml

Could it be too strong?

2 Likes

That’s not a bad thing – just means you can reduce dosage (compared to weaker products).

The instructions on that bottle seem to be geared toward soil. Just keep in mind not to use as much as it tells you to, we only need a very small amount in the grobo (5-10ml).

4 Likes

First time I used 5ml and afterwards on 1ml.

I think I will do something in between after the next water change, stop using the ice bags to cool the water and see what happens?

Water temp will be 20-21°C without the cooling, but its super difficult for me to ascertain if its just the good bacteria or if the roots are rotting away.

Thanks for your swift help!

cheers

2 Likes

You’ll know by how it looks up top first and foremost, here’s one simple indicator:

• If the leaves are drooping/sagging a bit she’s probably having trouble with oxygen/nutrients in the root zone which is a sign that the bad bacteria :no_entry_sign: is winning.
  • If the leaves are perking up (after having been drooping/sagging a bit) then it’s a sign that the good bacteria :white_check_mark: is winning.

In my case, when dealing with this, I now just 'bomb" the reservoir with good stuff until the bad stuff clears out. When I’ve done that, during the first 1-2 weeks there wasn’t much visible progress but after that it cleared right up. So be warned – it might not be an immediate result! I watched up-top for signs of happiness (or sadness) using the same indicators I mentioned above.

5 Likes

Thanks man, much appreciated!

2 Likes

I added 30ml of H2O2 6% (without stabilizer) everytime when changing water after my roots got covered with brown layers. Since then nice creme white roots and a healthy plant.

2 Likes

Did you add H2O2 in addition to Hydroguard or just the water and H2O2?

What water temps do you have? :smiley: Any cooling measures you are undertaking? ^^

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Only H2O2 and temps around 23 Celsius. I use water from a cistern of collected rain water. No cooling measures so far.

1 Like

If I remember correctly you do not want to add H2O2 and hydroguard because the H2O2 kills the hydroguard so it would be wasting the hydroguard. If H2O2 is being used you’re basically running a sterile system, and the bacteria in stuff like hydroguard can’t live in a sterile system.

3 Likes

Absolutely right, brain fart moment :smile:

3 Likes