Temp outside the Grobo

@vegetato I couldn’t get hold of Hydroguard sold out everywhere so got Great White, is that alright?

Did you get the powder or the liquid (Orca)?

The powder one is all they had.

That’s a bit trickier to use, the liquid version of that (Orca) is a more precise, less hazardous to handle (should wear a mask with powder, avoid kicking up dust, cleanup area well afterward), and less mess (FYI).

When I’ve used it (recently) the process was to add 1/8th of a gram or less to 20-50mL of water and then stir/mix it really well and then dump into the reservoir.

It helps to let the sediment settle and then pour it carefully to avoid dumping the “gunk” into the reservoir, or use a syringe or pipette to extract from the top of the mixed solution.

3 Likes

@vegetato Hi Mate, I just added under a 1/4 of a tsp to the water and mixed it in. It says mix 1 scoop (tsp) to 10 gallon. We have about just under 2 gallons in Grobo don’t we? :see_no_evil:

I topped the plant and cut couple of leaves from under off too.

This is what my plant look like now. What you thinking? Honestly is the best policy with me.

2 Likes

That should be more than enough, about half of that is what I use. It’s expensive stuff and there’s no need to waste it! It might also mess with nutrients/pH if it’s too concentrated.

My GW didn’t come with a scoop in it so I went with per-gram measurements.

Something to keep in mind is that our reservoir is smaller than the typical reservoir, and as such a lot of “recommended dosages” on labels might not scale down as effectively as the manufacturer would like. It’s better to err on side of caution and use less (chop their recommendation down to 1/2 or 1/4), only adding more if you see a need to.

What I did to come up with a good dosage for myself was calculate how much great white came out to about the same strength as the hydroguard in the bottle (at least in terms of quantity of bacillus amyloliquefaciens).

Hydroguard contains 10,000 CFU per mL, so when we add 5mL to our res that means the reservoir should have about 50,000 CFU.

By instead adding 1/8th of a gram of great white, that should be something like 65,625 CFU (525,000 divided by 8). One thing to note is that some of it won’t actually make it into the water and stays stuck to the powder (the gunky sediment we don’t add to reservoir), so that’s why I overshoot to 1/8th instead of going down to 1/10th.

Adding too much GW just leaves behind more stuff to clean up I’ve found. It helps to mix it outside of the reservoir, then just dump the liquid in but not the leftover powder/sediment/gunk. I mix it with 50-250mL of water separately first.

Doesn’t look happy yet but if you’re just adding GW now it could take a few days to see any results. I wouldn’t cut any leaves until they’re all more perky, the slouching leaves are a sign she’s not feeling 100%. If some leaves were going brown and you cut them off without fixing the issue (that was causing her to do this in first place) she’ll just start to sap nutrients from the next set up as you took away the ones she was using for food.

2 Likes

@vegetato, Wicked, thanks a lot for the help. I’ll keep an eye on her. She’s been through a bit of a rough time lately with moving 3 times, been in cold conditions, having tap water, having her roots cleaned, not being in the right recipe the lot so I thinks she doing alright to even be alive to be fair. Hopefully now with your help she will start feeling better over the next week. I’ll keep you updated in a few days :+1:t2::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Doing great considering all that!

2 Likes

Hi @vegetato, ok so I think she’s on the road to recovery. Been a couple days now and she’s changed quite a bit. Looking a lot stronger now. I was thinking of doing another h2o2 dip when I do my next water change, what you think?

1 Like

h2o2 will kill off the GW, so I’d probably recommend against doing that unless things start going south again.

I’d just keep adding some GW with each drain/fill for now. After about 3-4 weeks it might be possible to stop adding it as (I believe) there will be enough hanging around in the res between fills at that point. If you notice her slouching or find the roots being attacked again maybe do the h2o2 and re-apply GW but only if things aren’t going well.

You can also mix and pour a bit of GW into the coco pod, as that’s where it’s actually intended to go. By just adding it to the water some will splash into the dry area above the water line (roots, walls, lid) and that’s where it’ll grow but by adding it directly to the pod you can get a higher concentration in there faster.

2 Likes

@vegetato Ok mate, thanks :pray:t2:

@vegetato She’s defo feeling better now, she’s got loads bigger over the last few days. You can see were I topped her and now she’s growing well. There is a bit of discolouration on some of the leaves but that was from when she was on death bed before. Not sure if the roots look to good though, what you think? There are a lot more roots now.

4 Likes

Hey @TheBeardOfGold,

Nice recovery, thanks to our champion @vegetato! Great guide on treating early root rot, I may want to bookmark this post or something.

Plant is looking nice and healthy now, keep on keeping on.

PS - We are working on getting more stuff to our EU friends across the pond. Will take a couple more months, but will get there.

Cheers,
Stephen

3 Likes

Looking much better up top! Down below it’s hard to say since GW makes a mess too, but there isn’t much of the “really dark stuff” left so I’d think it’s looking better. Edit: just re-reviewed pics, there are a lot more roots.

Another thing you can do to help her along is to drain/fill with 50/50 room temp & fridge temp water. In my case, my room temp is around 72°F and fridge temp around 55°F – when I mix a gallon of each together they land around 64°F. Doing this when you do a drain+fill (using colder water to fill with) should help the plant to get through this easier. I should’ve mentioned this sooner, sorry! (This is what I do when drain/fill by the way.)

3 Likes

Hi @Stephen,

Yeah @vegetato has been very helpful indeed. He’s coached me well I’d say. You could maybe edit the post in a way to use as a guide maybe :thinking:

Just so you know I’m from England, saying Europe is like me saying Canada :canada: is USA :us:. The no go zone :joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes

@vegetato Hi mate, does that look like something is eating my leave? Or could it be damage from all the bad look I’ve had?

1 Like

If you see new ones appearing daily in places they weren’t before, it could be bugs - or it might’ve just been one visiting one day that isn’t there any more. Taking pics from same vantage point and comparing the leaves when they were smaller vs when they are bigger will show if it was there in the past and just got bigger or if it’s new.

Another cause of that is when a leaf is damaged when it’s younger/softer and then the smaller blemish grows out to be a larger blemish. That’s usually all it is when I notice those. Most times it is caused by leaves scraping against other leaves/stems or a slip of the pruning sheers or something like that.

2 Likes

@vegetato Cool, I’ll keep an eye out over the next couple of the days then.

Hi @vegetato, I’ve actually received my Hydroguard now. Shall I put it in my next water change instead of great white?

You could switch or just use both. Gw has some extra things in it that hydroguard doesn’t, but hydroguard is already liquid and mixes in better.

1 Like