Simulating Darkness

Hey all,

Been a bit of a year, and I lost my place where I could (full on) grow inside. Stuck now to one small tent just enough to grow a couple plants.
Now, I know I’m waaaaay ahead of the ball here, but I’ve decided in doing an outdoor grow for next year. Will be more of a “in the middle of nowhere” type thing and will be mostly autoflowers (That’ll make sense in a second).

Now I figure autos will be my best choice, as where I live, in the summer time we get practically 24 hours of sunlight. I say practically as they say there’s a 3 or so hour dark period however it doesn’t exactly get “dark”. With saying that I want to try a few photo period plants as well. Which brings me to my question: has anyone had any experience simulating darkness outdoors to start the flowering phase? How so?

My first thought is the obvious, just cover it with something to create a “dark box”. But again this will be away from a power source so what would that do with the temperature(inside the “box”) and air flow? By the time I get a natural “dark period” the temperature is already starting to drop off, around September month.

I plan on starting the plants (autos and photos if I choose to do photos) indoors probably around the May month. But don’t really wanna waste to many photo seeds if it’s a damn good chance they won’t turn out.

Any opinions, thoughts or comments, especially from experience, is definitely appreciated!

4 Likes

- - - [2021-11.02]:

@Winger17,

--

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3 Likes

I might skip the photos as you already know they might be a problem, plus your light/dark ratio there is mostly nice for autos once flowering. Unless you plan to run around every night and every morning wrapping and unwrapping them.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m starting to lean towards too. Knowing me would probably get busy and not able to cover/wrap for “nighttime”. Thought it was worth a discussion though anyways. Gonna try some Nightowl seeds I think outdoors and see how they fair.

3 Likes

Appreciate the links! Looks good. Definitely wanna try some outdoor but the sun schedule just aint gonna work for me lol and thanks for the welcome back! Been a wild year, had to stop my garden for awhile and now started again on a waaaay smaller scale.

4 Likes