Root rot prevention

Thanks, nice to meet you as well!

1 Like

Apparently this would be the advance nutrients version of hydroguard, just got word from buddy… finally… I’m hounding him to get us some swag and/or promotions… :joy::joy::+1:t3::joy:

4 Likes

Honestly a little pricey, but I know the stuff is good no doubt, I guess you sort of get what you pay for…

2 Likes

Good to know! Now I just gotta see if it costs more than hydroguard.

1 Like

I was messin with the prices for fun, you can get 54 gallons for 3000$ USD if you wanted to! :joy::joy::joy:

But seriously, there’s a lot of different size bottles, at least you get to try it… if you just wanna taster.

1 Like

I’m hounding him!!! Lol

3 Likes

Amazon is where I usually get them.

1 Like

I did the same for these 2

3 Likes

Honestly I would see if there’s a local hydo store around you for those types of products, mine carries them amongst a slew of others and they all tend to be cheaper than ordering from Amazon.
But hey if you got the inside hook-ups then I’d be trying to get that too :joy:

1 Like

Don’t go by the product descriptions for nutrients/amendments/etc, a handful of products can be described similarly but have different inputs/outputs.

Voodoo juice has many strains of bacteria present, it’s got a little bit of the same stuff as hydroguard has plus others. Hydroguard is far more concentrated than most other (liquid) forms but only contains the one bacteria. Great white does also contain some but is intended for the areas above-water and again is not as concentrated.

The preferred ingredient for killing the root rot bacteria is called “bacillus amyloliquefaciens”. The others (found in great white / voodoo juice) aren’t as necessary for root rot itself, and are better suited to larger grows I’d say.

I’ll use great white and recharge to help through struggle but not much more than that, I can show some pics of how bad it was to clean (and how the plant hit the roof) if you’d like – I wouldn’t use it if it’s not necessary to.

The dr marijane is $12 and will probably last you 3-4 years if not longer in a single grobo. This is what I’m currently using with temps often drifting to 73-75°F when I don’t adjust the AC fast enough on some days.

These are what you want to zoom in on:

I’d suggest to make your own google sheet or something keeping track of what you’ve found and tried to review/tune in future. I spent a few months researching these and in the end determined that hydroguard is definitely the strongest of these products (by a factor of 4-20x stronger) and can both work better and last longer due to that. But, the other products do have other effects that hydroguard does not, so there’s other benefits to them. However, the improved growth isn’t always desirable in our case if it causes the plant to overtake the unit.

5 Likes

Fantastic intel @vegetato :muscle:

3 Likes

Also - sensizym helps more with nutrient uptake than to prevent root rot. It’s more for feeding than sanitation if I’m not mistaken. I could see it being used to help the plant get back to health quickly but it won’t do much for the problem itself.

3 Likes

I second that motion! :facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

Cheers Russ

1 Like

So, apparently this is the bees knees… I was told, but I’ve been fooled before! :joy:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Def. gonna do that with a sharpie!

Boom!

2 Likes

@vegetato See, like you said that ingredient isn’t there!

Thanks dude! :facepunch:t3:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about hygrozyme actually. That one ingredient isn’t the only one that works; it’s just one that has been proven to work well and is a preferred choice in more areas than just cannabis. It’s very possible any of those other products would do the trick.

The only reason I have against using a lot of these other products is the number of active ingredients. The more (different ingredients) that you put the in the water the greater the chances are of one reacting with another or causing undesirable side effects. I wouldn’t want any of those extras to mess with the nutrients or pH much (for example).

Along the same line as using RO/distilled instead of tap water to start with a “blank slate”; keeping that slate as blank as possible is also a good goal to have especially when starting. With hydroguard (and now dr marijane) the premise is to just isolate the 1 thing that works and maintain some level of it. Without understanding the implications of every last ingredient it can result in much more complicated issues to solve (more things to rule out) if we throw too many variables into the equation at once.

3 Likes