Peat Pod Problems

So I’ve lost 3 seeds because peat pods. Well, evidence points to them as the issue. 3 different strains in 3 different pods, one sprouted in the Grobo, the other two in the start. So the pods are the common factor. I think this batch was too dense and the seeds couldn’t poke through and they just jumped out of the pods.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you didn’t poke any holes through the peat pod with a toothpick after soaking? I believe this is recommended when using the peat pods as they are much denser than the original coco pods.

3 Likes

Nope. I must have missed that tip. But I have had several good grows with no issues in the past only with the last reorder of pods.

1 Like

Do you remove the wick once it sprouts out or see the tap root touching the water

1 Like

Look at the photos. No tap roots. They literally climbed out of the pods.

1 Like

I’d give that a shot if you try again. I myself started using mini rockwool cubes in my start as the peat pods ARE super dense.

2 Likes

I was looking at the 1.5” rock wool. Wasn’t sure it would fit in the peat basket.

1 Like

Should one remove the wick once the taproot is in the water?

Haven’t had any problems with the start here aside from issues when you have the start in there for longer than a few weeks. I wouldn’t recommend that. And yes. The toothpick poking into the pod is essential.

2 Likes

Yes. Once that root is in the water there is no need for the wick any longer.

2 Likes

Use a toothpick or Q tip to poke holes into the peat pod. Poke down into the main hole several times. This is also mentioned in the Start videos.

You might be able to save those by during surgery on the peat pod and transplanting it back in there deeper. I have successful done this a few times.

Also be careful with how much water you are adding to the Start. Do not fill it all the way up! If you do, the peat pod/basket will be submerged and soak up too much water.

2 Likes

They fit, the 1.5” are the ones I use. They need a tiny bit of help at the corners but fit perfectly.

4 Likes

Looks like you took pics of my grobo start. I’ve had the exact same issues with 12 different seeds. All quality seeds/strains. And I have followed the grobo start directions to a T. The girls just can’t get any footing. Now I have successfully transplanted all of them into soil and they survived and thrived. So I don’t know what’s going on and I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s having the same problems. I bought the grobo start because it was supposed to germinate seeds with ease. Well it does germinate them with ease, they just can’t dig their way into the peat pod. And I poke holes with a toothpick too. I’m not a beginner, I’ve been doing this for some years now. I always like trying new things though. Thus the grobo start. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Like