Mini grow tent for seeds, clones, early veg

I’m looking at investing in a small grow tent for starting seeds, growing clones, and carrying in to early veg, and get a cycle started between that and my 4x4Ft. Now I have a couple questions.
-I was looking at a 2.5x2.5x2.5. Seems almost perfect for what I’m thinking of but then again I’m worried about not having the space In-between the lights and the canopy as they get bigger so I was also thinking maybe a 2x2x3. Thoughts?
-now as for the lights I wanna go to LED for the less power consumption as electricity is a little pricey where I’m at as well as ease of keeping the tent cooler. Any suggestions for what size of an LED that would work good in a 2x2 or a 2.5x2.5? Again either 2.5 or 3ft high depending on what I go with and can find for a good price. I’ll most likely only be doing 4-5 plants at a time as that’s all I can really get in my 4x4 without making the girls fight for light.

Thanks in advance for the input!

3 Likes

There’s this one on Amazon for $66 bucks…pretty close to what you want

VIVOSUN 24"x24"x36" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2’x2’

4 Likes

Actually I’d recommend you get the 24"x24"x48" model, which will give you a little more headroom for the lights…unless the space you intend to put it in prohibits it.

1 Like

I could go 4 feet I do have the room but I was hoping to go a little on the smaller end for this. I think it would be easier to control environment for me if it’s a smaller space and if it’s only gonna be seedlings/ clones and early veg I don’t want a tall tent with wasted room. I was looking at a fusion hut 2.5x2.5x2.5 as it seems to be hard to find a 2x2x3 here in Canada (I live in a remote area so amazon always tries to charge crazy amounts for shipping even with prime), and a mars TS 600 light with a max coverage of 2x2 at 18inches above canopy but that’s already more than half the height of the tent :joy:

Yes I was thinking: With a 2.5 ft-tall tent, at least HALF the height of it will be taken up by the light, the hanging straps, the hardware…then, the height of the plant pots themselves…but I’m not you. I don’t know what you’re dealing with there, in terms of grow space.

Hi :wink:

Now I may maybe way off but im into modle making & use one of these to spray in :wink:

There white which might be an issue but I find it Very Useful & quite spacious

Lights on a stand Sorted :wink:!!

1 Like

Take it from me, you need around 60-80 inches of height inside the tent or else you will be seriously crammed. When you put your pots in and hang your light it doesn’t leave much room for the plants to grow. I had a Viviosun 2 ft x 4 ft x 5 ft and when I had my pots inside and the light hung there was not much room for the plant to grow, especially when the light hangs down an extra 4-6 inches from the top due to the hangers that clip onto the light.

3 Likes

So how tall are you guys growing your plants in veg? Just curious as To what height is average that people let their plants get to before making the flip where they’re gonna double or more during flower.

1 Like

I am currently using a 2x2x4 ft tent, which has proven to be too small. I have a very small space for growing, so I bought a slightly larger tent with more headroom, which will still fit in my grow space…it’s 28 in x 28 in. x 63 in.

That critical 15" increase in headspace will hopefully make The Difference for me. I grow only Short or Medium height strains, and must LST them anyway. I lean towards Autoflowering Indica strains, as they’re more likely to fit. I’ve seen a lot of people who use a Grow Box (GROBO), who try to grow unknown strains in there, and wind up abandoning their grow (wasting 2 to 3 months, plus nutrients), because it turned out to be a nine-foot Sativa strain…totally impractical. LST can work wonders, but it’s got its limits.

I try to avoid that. I limit my Veg growing to 1 to 2 -1/2 feet, to leave room for the Stretch, and room for above the lights. I think you’re largely going to have to conform to your grow space, so there really is no “average” height. It’s going to be: Whatever’s necessary, in your situation.

2 Likes

I appreciate the well thought out and detailed response, thank you that’s awesome.

So I did settle on a tent. Went on the smaller side (3ftx1.5ftx3.5ft). And again to clarify this tent is only gonna be for vegetative plants. I already have a 48x48x80in for flowering, but I was looking for a smaller one just to start plants and maybe streamline things a bit to be able to crop out more often. So no flowering will go on there as I already have the bigger tent for that.
Thanks for all the insights! I too tend to grow plants a little shorter anyways so I think it’ll work out for me

2 Likes