Looking for API documentation?

I’m looking for API documentation. I have a raspberry pi set up in my grobo to take a picture once every hour but obviously, at some points the grobo is dark and of course, the lighting is not ideal even when it is. I would like to set up my script to change to grobo to the orange light before I take my pic… In other words is there an http request my raspberry pi can make that is the equivilent of tapping the button in the back?

1 Like

I fired up Burp Suite on my machine and was able to extract a request for turning on the clear glass that I turned into a curl request for my timelapse script on the pi. This seems to work for my purpose of making sure i have the photo friendly light on when my pi snaps that hour’s image. But that request turns the light on for a few seconds so ideally I’d like another command to turn it back to its original state instead of waiting for the timer. also does anyone think this will be a problem for the plant? the fact that every hour the light switches to the “photo friendly” light for a few seconds?

1 Like

I maybe wouldn’t start that until you know for sure it won’t affect your plant. I’d say if you were growing an auto it wouldn’t really do any harm. I don’t know for sure but any sort of light stress isn’t good for photoperiod plants typically

3 Likes

is it that stressful to switch on the light for a second or two every hour? my other alternative is to just let it take the pic as is and detect the pics that are in the dark by file size (significantly smaller) and deleting them…

1 Like

I can’t attest to that cause I’ve never really done anything that would add light while it’s lights out. I mean I guess even if it’s 2 seconds it couldn’t really hurt. I would just hate it to herm later on down the road because of it. @Stephen should be able to “shed some light on the matter” lol. It’s a long weekend for us though so he won’t get back until tomorrow

1 Like

It’s President’s day in Canada? :wink:

1 Like

Oh and for starters I am growing an auto cheese from canuk. I need a botanist to let me know how long the exposure to light has to be before the plant is effected…

1 Like

No it’s “family day” here lol. Never had a long weekend in Feb so they made one up I guess lol

Well for autos it won’t affect it I don’t think. @Gio is growing an auto that is under 24-0 I believe and it’s growing strong. Autos don’t change depending on light it’s like an internal clock. Changes when she wants

2 Likes

If it’s an auto plant it doesn’t matter … but don’t do that shit for a photo period plant or you will cause it to hermi… again autoflower is fine as they can go 24 hours of light no matter what … photo period do not do it during lights off

4 Likes

Yes, just as @Russel_Richardson said - I’m running 24/0 schedule on my grow, progress of which you can check on my profile if you’d like to. Below you’ll see some pictures as of this very moment:

Day 66 from sprout

Therefore as long as it’s an auto, flashing light on and off during your dark periods won’t affect her at all, but as my predecessor said, don’t ever try this with photoperiods.

3 Likes

In case anyone was wondering I was able to hack together a psuedo api for turning on and off the light. I don’t know how savvy you are but I was able to intercept my request to my.grobo and see what a request looked like for turning on the transparent lighting for the liquid glass. If you use BurpSuit or the like you can copy the request with all your auth tokens as a curl command to turn on the lights the event and action params look like this:

event=switching_film_transparent&action_name=%5Bhome%5D

Unfortunately, it seems to stay on for like 10 seconds which is too long for my needs in the script which turns on the lights before snapping a pic and then wants to return the lights to the state they were in. If you call the same event again, it just keeps it on longer. But with a little tinkering, I realized there is an event for switching it back to opaque which should revert the lighting to whatever it was before:

event=switching_film_opaque&action_name=%5Bhome%5D
4 Likes

@liddellOnus

Bypassing the app and forcing commands IOT is not recommended. Certain commands are blocked while others are functioning for specific reasoning. It is the app that manages these states. Bypassing these checks is very dangerous for your Grobo, it was not designed to be used in this way. Please refrain from sending commands directly to your unit, this is not covered under warranty.

Best,
Grobo team

3 Likes

But @Stephen, you make this young sprout sad. All I’m doing is mimicking someone pressing the liquid glass button from the “app” (which is really just a website.)

Please do tell me what the danger is. I mean this is what I do for a living. I tinker. :slight_smile: I am literally just make the same Http requests that the app makes.
Perhaps in light of people like me, the wonderful team at Grobo might want to consider a user API. Tinkerers are going to tinker. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The app manages event queues and respects busy responses. Since we have not exposed all unit responses to the browser there is no way for you to safely interact with our API. You only have half the story and in a way are driving in the dark on a road filled with hazards.

Exposing a public API is something we have considered but cannot commit the resources needed at the moment. This is something we will reconsider again in the future.

If you have suggestions or requests on features/functions you think an exposed API should include, please feel free to start a post and let’s gather all related info on this topic.

Best,
Grobo Team

3 Likes

I feel like I have just been sent to my room without supper. Sorry, Papa Grobo. :crying_cat_face:

I will of course yield to your warning but even so, now you have me curious and concerned.

If making a couple simple one line Http requests an hour presents great hazards, I think there is a bigger issue at hand than me tinkering. What kind of hazards are we talking about? Could I sink an oil tanker or something?

5 Likes