EC probe cleaning and calibration

Hey family!

Hope all is well.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on the calibration of the EC probe? I purchased 2 maintenance kits and today I cleaned both my probes. Found a few videos of @Stephen with an awesome explanation. Cleaned both my ec and ph probes and recalibrated the ph probe no problem.

My question is: How do you recalibrate your ec probe with the solution? I’ve cleaned it no problem, I assume it’s not as sensitive as the ph probe but it would be nice to know if it’s calibrated and 100% functional.

Thanks in advance everyone,
Stay safe!

Eric

2 Likes

The Grobo app does not* offer an option to calibrate EC probe. Though Danielle or Stephen may be able to perform the calibration on their end. It may just not be necessary.

2 Likes

Cool, got you. Where did you find it in the app? Can’t seem to find it. If I go to calibrate it automatically just gives me pH.

1 Like

Sorry that was a typo :man_facepalming:t2::joy: the app does not offer it*

2 Likes

I was going to say, you’ll have to show me. :joy::joy::facepunch:t3:

1 Like

I would assume that as long as the 2 copper leads on the probe are clean and not damaged… Should be good to go. My pH calibrating in the app asked me to do so, there was lots of gunk. Re-tested, good to go!

4 Likes

Really that dirty already? I haven’t cleaned or calibrated since before the start of my grow, I pH my water prior to filling and check pH after each drain. So far so good :grimacing::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed it was gunky, probably why it was acting funky.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve noticed it can get gunky pretty quick. Me personally, I recommend doing a probe health check once a month. I want the sensors to be as dialed in as they can be cause one little swing in pH can mess things up. I experienced this on my last grow about midway through flower. My fault cause I was dealing with space issues and mainly focused on that…:man_facepalming:

But it can’t hurt to check more often and be sure :+1:

1 Like

Not going to lie, the idea of going into the reservoir, pulling on possibly tangled roots and allowing light to shine on the roots trips me out haha, do you tend to take any precautions when calibrating? Green light only? How do you ensure that you don’t tare any roots if they were to say be tangled on the nutrient or drain/fill lines? I am pHing my water prior to filling the grobo and I always check the water that comes out so far it’s 6.0 in 6.0 out, but I fear that if the probe loses proper calibration it may dose pH up or down at a time that it is not necessary. Thus, I want to calibrate soon as I am about to enter transition.

3 Likes

I wait for no lights, I installed red bulbs for these types of operations, set the lid with the roots in a black cup.

1 Like

That won’t be an option once she grows up my man.

3 Likes

Agreed, imagine trying to take out a full blown plant! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: hahaha

2 Likes

It would be like a new age Cheech and Chong f up! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Another thing is, with my ScrOG I don’t even know if I could lift the lid high enough to get my hand in there to remove and replace the probes. :grimacing:

1 Like

Nahhhh, exactly. It would be a wreck.

1 Like

You should be able to lift it enough it get the probes out. I just did it with mine, just need a couple inches realistically. If a couple roots rip in the process so be it, unless it’s like the mass of it on it, then just gotta be more careful but there’s nothing really for them to latch onto. As for lights like I said you’re just lifting the lid momentarily to get the probe out. Then lid back down so they really only see light for a couple seconds taking it out and then again putting it back

2 Likes

Just move your scrog up?

1 Like

Thought about that also, after I posted.

2 Likes